AP NEWS

Around the state: Castile girlfriend pleads not guilty in hammer attack

June 30, 2017 GMT

ST. PAUL — A woman who livestreamed the bloody aftermath of her boyfriend’s fatal shooting by a Minnesota police officer has pleaded not guilty in an unrelated assault case.

Diamond Reynolds faces two assault charges for allegedly taking part in a hammer attack on a woman in February.

Reynolds was sitting next to Philando Castile, who was black, when he was shot during a July traffic stop by St. Anthony police officer Jeronimo Yanez. Yanez recently was acquitted by a jury.

Reynolds told the court Wednesday she expects to travel the country next month for television appearances. One of her attorneys said Reynolds will go to London in August for an art exhibit created in her honor.

Reynolds declined comment on her criminal case. Her trial is scheduled for Aug. 28.

Citizens call for St. Anthony mayor to resign

ST. ANTHONY — Residents of a Minnesota city that employed the police officer who fatally shot a black motorist during a traffic stop are calling for the mayor’s resignation.

Citizens packed a city council meeting in St. Anthony Tuesday night. Residents say the community cannot heal from the death of Philando Castile until Mayor Jerry Faust resigns. Some also called for the resignation of police Chief Jon Mangseth and some council members.

Citizens calling for the mayor’s resignation also were upset about a forced eviction of low-income residents in the Lowry Grove mobile home park.

The city recently reached a nearly $3 million settlement with Castile’s mother, avoiding a federal wrongful death lawsuit. The settlement followed the acquittal of Officer Jeronimo Yanez, who had been charged with manslaughter in Castile’s death.

Complaint: Woman blames video stunt for boyfriend’s death

HALSTAD — A Minnesota woman charged in the fatal shooting of her boyfriend told authorities it was a video stunt gone wrong.

Monalisa Perez, of Halstad, was charged Wednesday with second-degree manslaughter in the death of Pedro Ruiz III.

According to a criminal complaint, the 19-year-old Perez told authorities Ruiz wanted to make a YouTube video of her shooting a bullet into a book he was holding against his chest. She says she fired from about a foot (0.3 meters) away.

Authorities said Ruiz died from a single gunshot wound to the chest.

The victim’s aunt, Claudia Ruiz, said the couple played pranks and put them on YouTube.

Perez was granted a public defender and released on $7,000 bail.

The charge carries a maximum penalty of 10 years in prison.

Authorities ID man killed in Pine County ATV crash

FINLAYSON — Authorities have released the name of a man who was killed when the all-terrain vehicle he was driving crashed in east-central Minnesota last weekend.

The Pine County Sheriff’s Office identified the victim as Kyle Rosengren, 30, of North St. Paul.

The Midwest Medical Examiner’s Office said Rosengren died of blunt force injuries when he crashed the ATV at an intersection in Finlayson at about 3:30 a.m. Saturday.

Authorities said a female passenger was airlifted to a hospital in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area.

The crash is under investigation.

Monster muskie in Mille Lacs nearly 5 feet long

GARRISON — This monster muskie found in Minnesota can best be described as the one that got away — again and again.

A couple fishing on Mille Lacs recently discovered a decaying 59½ inch muskellunge that likely is a state record. Department of Natural Resources fisheries biologist Steve Mero said the fish could be 18 or 25 years old and is one the largest muskies he’s heard of lately, dead or alive.

Gary and Ann Gilbert found the giant walleye east of the Shaw-Bosh-Kung Bay landing near Garrison. They snapped photos of the enormous fish before returning it to the water.