AP NEWS

Warehouse fire sends smell of pot wafting through town

November 17, 2017

COTTAGE GROVE — An overheated piece of machinery at a cannabis oil extraction facility is suspected of sparking a fire after an employee left it on while seeking medical treatment.

The employee went to the hospital for treatment of burns caused by the machinery, according to Cottage Grove police officer Thomas Roberts, and inadvertently left the machine on.

While he was gone, the machine overheated and sparked the fire shortly before 4 p.m. at the warehouse at 125 N. Lane St., near the center of town.

The man’s condition or details of his injuries were not available Thursday; however, dispatch records indicate that he was not taken to the hospital by ambulance.

The smell of marijuana filtered through several blocks of the neighborhood of tidy historic homes as firefighters from South Lane, Goshen and Pleasant Hill fire departments quickly brought the fire under control.

According to Lane County property records, Eric Scully of Cottage Grove owns the 5,600-square-foot industrial building.

The building had some built-in fire safety features, according to the conditional use permit for cannabis oil extraction filed with the city last December, which noted that “the building already has a ventilation system, and a firewall-protected room with explosion-proof fans and ventilation.”

No estimate of damage was available Thursday night.