Trial set for man in city shooting

September 5, 2018
Brandon Keishaun Reed, 18, left, appears with defense attorney Courtenay Craig before Cabell Circuit Judge Christopher D. Chiles on Tuesday in a case alleging Reed committed murder.

HUNTINGTON — A trial date was set in a Huntington murder case Tuesday as the defendant’s attorney is working to retrieve a jailhouse phone call he believes could answer questions about what happened during the shooting earlier this year.

Brandon Keishaun Reed, 18, stands charged with murder in the shooting death of Dewayne Lamont Robinson, 18, of Akron, Ohio. Robinson was found dead about 1:30 p.m. March 11, in a home in the 200 block of 11th Avenue in Huntington. A woman also was taken to the hospital with injuries that were not life-threatening.

Shania Ledawn Westmoreland, 18, who had been charged as an accessory in the case but was not indicted, said she traveled in a vehicle with Reed to an apartment in Lawrence County, Ohio, shortly after the shooting, dropped him off, then drove the vehicle away from the area. Reed was later found in Michigan and extradited to West Virginia.

Cabell Circuit Judge Christopher D. Chiles set Reed’s trial date for Dec. 11 to give

Craig time to retrieve a recording of a jail phone call that was made at the time of Robinson’s death.

Defense attorney Courte-nay Craig said someone who was in the apartment at the time of the shooting was on the phone with Western Regional Jail inmate Kori Barnes, who is charged in a 2016 robbery that killed another teenager. Jail phone calls are recorded as a policy.

While both assistant prosecutor Lauren Plymale and Craig both agreed the eyewitnesses* statements matched, Craig said the phone call could provide a more accurate depiction of what happened.

“His phone call will be an actual recording of events that occurred in the background,” he said. “So to the extent it can be transcribed to listen to by the state, we will have a situation where what was presented to the grand jury may not have been what actually occurred.”

If the grand jury received false information, Craig said, it would be grounds for the indictment against Reed to be dismissed.

Plymale said she did not believe the phone call would take away from what the witnesses had testified.

Reed remains housed at WRJ in Barboursville.

Follow reporter Courtney Hessler at Facebook.com/CHesslerHD and via Twitter @HesslerHD.

All contents © copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.