AP NEWS
ADVERTISEMENT

Two South Carolina receivers opt out, OL Rhodes opts back in

September 4, 2020 GMT

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — South Carolina receivers Randrecous Davis and OrTre Smith have chosen to skip the season because of concerns regarding the coronavirus.

Gamecocks coach Will Muschamp said Friday he understands and accepts the players’ decisions.

Davis is a 5-foot-10, fifth-year senior from Atlanta who has caught just two passes the last two seasons due to injuries.

Smith is a 6-4, 222-pound junior from Wando, South Carolina. He has also been limited the previous two seasons because of knee injury. He was expected to compete for a starting spot this fall.

“This is a different time,” Muschamp said. “They’ve been first class people in our program and will continue to be.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Muschamp also said that a starter from last year who opted out earlier is working to come back to the field. Jordan Rhodes, a 6-4, 325-pound junior, had started 10 games at left guard a season ago. He had decided not to play this season amid the coronavirus pandemic.

But Muschamp said Rhodes is working out and will need a couple of weeks to return to football shape.

The Gamecocks open the season Sept. 26 at home against No. 25 Tennessee.

___

More AP college football: http://apnews.com/Collegefootball and http://www.twitter.com/AP_Top25

ADVERTISEMENT