Judge formally dismisses Sandra Bland lawsuit after deal
HOUSTON (AP) — A federal judge formally has dismissed the wrongful death lawsuit filed by the family of Sandra Bland, the Chicago-area woman who died last year in a Texas county jail days after her arrest by a state trooper for a traffic stop that became contentious.
The brief final judgment order signed Tuesday by U.S. District Judge David Hittner came after Bland family attorneys in September disclosed a $1.9 million settlement with the Texas Department of Public Safety, former trooper Brian Encinia and Waller County, about 50 miles northwest of Houston.
Bland’s lawyers told Hittner in a motion Monday that all claims were resolved.
Authorities have said the 28-year-old Bland killed herself in the jail three days after Encinia arrested her. A video from the July 2015 traffic stop provoked national outrage.