The Latest: Evacuations canceled for Central Coast wildfire
LOMPOC, Calif. (AP) — The Latest on wildfires burning in California (all times local):
A blanket of cold, damp air has drifted in from the ocean and smothered a series of wildfires on California’s Central Coast.
Santa Barbara County fire spokesman Mike Eliason says evacuation orders have been canceled for all 900 people told to leave their homes earlier Friday.
At least 100 homes had been threatened by three blazes that erupted. But nightfall has brought a marine layer of cooler, wetter air and winds have eased.
The fire is 10 percent contained, but even within fire lines there is no flame visible in some places.
No homes or other buildings have been damaged.
Some road closures remain in place to help with the firefight.
Winds are easing and flames are dying at the scene of wildfires on California’s Central Coast but authorities say some homes remain at risk.
At least 100 homes in Lompoc were threatened by three blazes that erupted Friday afternoon. About 900 people were notified to evacuate.
However, Santa Barbara County fire spokesman Mike Eliason says nightfall has brought a marine layer of cooler, wetter air and winds have eased.
Eliason says he sees no flame at all in some areas and some evacuations are being lifted, although some canyon homes remain at risk.
So far, no buildings have burned.
Evacuations have been ordered in the city of Lompoc on California’s Central Coast as a series of wildfires threatens at least 100 homes.
Santa Barbara County fire spokesman Mike Eliason says a half-dozen small blazes converged into three larger fires Friday afternoon that are racing near homes near Vandenberg Air Force Base.
He says the flames are right across the street from some homes.
About 300 acres of land have burned as winds push the flames through tinder-dry brush, grass and oak.
Eliason says about 900 people have been notified to leave. The evacuation also includes the historic La Purisima Mission, and firefighters are protecting it.
The fires erupted near a road. The California Highway Patrol says it’s investigating whether a car dragging a chain might have caused it but the cause remains unclear.
Fire officials say six structures including four homes were damaged by a blaze that raged earlier in the week in suburban Southern California canyons.
Orange County Fire Authority Capt. Steve Concialdi says the 4-square-mile (10.6-square-kilometer) wildfire near Corona is 75 percent contained Thursday.
Full containment is expected in the next few days.
Concialdi says four homes, one commercial building and an outbuilding were burned after the flames kicked up Monday and forced evacuations. At least one of the homes has been deemed uninhabitable.
Firefighters saved nearly 2,000 homes as the blaze shifted in unpredictable winds southeast of Los Angeles.
No injuries were reported.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.