10 Things to Know for Today
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. NO MORE BILLY GOAT, NO MORE BARTMAN, NO MORE BLACK-CAT CURSES
Ending more than a century of flops, futility and frustration, the Chicago Cubs won their first World Series title since 1908, outlasting Cleveland 8-7 in 10 innings in Game 7.
2. EARLY VOTING: TIGHTER RACE, BUT STILL GOOD SIGNS FOR CLINTON
AP data show she maintains an apparent advantage over Trump, with roughly one-fourth of all ballots already cast.
3. HOW ISLAMIC STATE GROUP LEADER RALLIES FIGHTERS IN IRAQ
Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi releases a new message ordering the militants to “make their blood flow like rivers” in the fight for Mosul against Iraqi government forces.
4. AP: CHINA CARFENTANIL TRADE THRIVING
The weapons-grade chemical is suspected in hundreds of drug overdoses in the United States and Canada.
5. CDC: PROGRESS REDUCING UNINSURED RATE MAY STALL
The study suggests Obama’s health care law may be reaching a limit to its effectiveness in a nation politically divided over the government’s role in guaranteeing coverage.
6. CHILEAN CHILDREN’S CARE IN CRISIS
The government says that 865 youths have died in an agency’s care the past 11 years and the country has now committed $ 3.7 million for an overhaul.
7. OFFICIALS: BLAZE AT MISSISSIPPI BLACK CHURCH WAS ARSON
The FBI has opened a civil rights investigation after someone torched Hopewell Missionary Baptist Church and spray-painted “Vote Trump” on an outside wall.
8. WHO THINKS HE CAN BEAT NETANYAHU
Political newcomer Yair Lapid believes he has the moderate formula that will allow him to do something that has eluded Israeli politicians for nearly a decade.
9. IN AFRICA, WHAT HAS SIZEABLE VALUE
Some entrepreneurial Senegalese hope to create a new business model for the secondhand clothing trade to give more local people jobs.
10. QUEEN B BUZZES INTO CMAs
Beyonce helps celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Country Music Awards’ with a secret performance of her song “Daddy Lessons” with the Dixie Chicks.