Fire destroys grain dryer at Universal Cooperative
LEBANON -- A fire caused approximately $500,000 in damages to a grain dryer at Universal Co-op Association in Lebanon, a fire official said.
Lebanon Fire Chief Ben Tietz said his department was called at 10 p.m. Wednesday for a report of a grain dryer that was on fire.
“The whole dryer is a complete loss,” Tietz said.“We had the fire out relatively quickly between 10-15 minutes, but what took a lot of time was clearing the corn from the inside of it.”
There is no cause yet, Tietz said of the fire, which remains under investigation.
Tietz said the dryer held approximately 3,000 bushels of corn. He said it was recently added to the co-op this summer or early fall.
The dryer is located at Universal Co-op Association, N1094 County Highway R between Old and New Lebanon.
Watertown and Ashippun fire departments were also called to the fire scene to assist.
He said his department left the scene at 2 a.m.