Click to copy
Click to copy
Related topics

Man Dies Trying to Gas Rat

June 26, 1992

LANESBORO, Minn. (AP) _ A man died of carbon monoxide poisoning while trying to kill a rat with car fumes, authorities said.

Olmsted County Coroner Paul Belau ruled the death of 37-year-old Lyle Harlos an accident.

Harlos, of Lanesboro, attempted Tuesday to kill a rat that had taken up residence in his garage by gassing it with car fumes, but the fumes seeped into his house from the attached garage even though the garage door was open, Belau said.

Harlos had shut off the engine and was airing out his house when he was overcome. His wife found him collapsed in the living room that afternoon.

Carbon monoxide is especially dangerous because ″you can’t smell it or taste it,″ said Walt Franz, a family physician at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester. ″People tend to get a headache, then they feel drowsy and then lose consciousness.″


All contents © copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.