Bike to Parks Day event planned
Update: Event has been postponed to June 10 rain date.
Area organizations have joined forces for Bike to Parks Day.
A variety of activities will be available from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday at Silver Lake Park’s Three Links shelter and bike playground.
• Rochester Parks and Recreation will have its mobile rec trailer at the park full of lawn games, along with the city’s fleet of adaptive bikes available for participants.
• Olmsted County Public Health and the Statewide Health Improvement Partnership will lead sessions on bike safety and rules of the road at the bike playground.
• The Rochester Police Department’s Cops and Kids Community Program will be tuning up bikes.
• Rochester Public Library will have its Art Cart and Book Bike on site.
• Rochester Farmers Markets will be providing $2 produce coupons to any youth riding the bike to the market to the market or completing a SHIP session at the bike playground
• We Bike Rochester and the Community Bike Club will lead short family friendly group rides at 11 a.m. and 2 p.m., and a bike parade will be held at noon.
“We Bike Rochester is committed to advocating for safe cycling for all in Rochester, as a mode of transportation, exercise, or play,” board member Matthieu Lynch said of the group’s effort to organize the free community event.
In the case of inclement weather, a rain date is scheduled from 10 .m. to 2 p.m. June 10 in Silver Lake Park.