Related topics

Matricide suspected in Garland fatal stabbing

December 17, 2018 GMT

Police suspect matricide in a Garland neighborhood stabbing late Sunday night.

Officers arrived to the woman’s unit at 811 W. Walton Ave. near the Garland Business District at about 11:30 p.m., where they found the victim with apparent stab wounds. She was transported to a local hospital where she was pronounced dead, police said in a news release.

Elizabeth Scherette, a student at Eastern Washington University and neighbor of the woman, said she arrived home Sunday evening to the sounds of a woman screaming next door. Along with several other neighbors, she said she broke down the front door just as the suspect escaped out the back, and found the woman bleeding from her neck.


“I ran in and put my hands on her throat,” she said. “I sat there with her until they got the ambulance here.”

Later that morning at about 9:45 a.m., police arrested the woman’s son, identified in a news release as 41-year-old Marquis R. Smith. Smith’s family spells his first name Marques.

He was taken into custody at Wall Street and Greta Avenue near Holy Cross Cemetery, according to a news release.

He’s facing a charge of first-degree murder.

A search of Smith’s criminal history shows just one felony conviction from 1999, for which he was sentenced to 38 months in prison.

A search of Marques Smith, however, shows several recent misdemeanor charges, including DUI and negligent driving from 2016. And this year, of driving 21 mph over the speed limit and driving without insurance.

Police have not released the woman’s identity. But James Smith, Marques Smith’s father, said Monday the woman is his ex-wife, Sandra Anderson.

James Smith, 72, who used to allow Marques Smith to stay with him and his wife in their north Spokane home near Salk Middle School, said his son had been living with his mother, who was close to retirement.

He said he awoke to a phone call at about 2 a.m. from police alerting him of the stabbing.

“I don’t know much more than what police told me,” he said. “I don’t really know much of anything, other than it must have been some kind of argument going on.”

Ever since Smith’s brother died, he said his son has struggled with drugs and alcohol, on top of a short-fuse temper.

“I know it was nothing that was planned.” James Smith said. “He really has a problem with anger.”