Child dies of chloroform poisoning; Colorado man arrested
GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. (AP) — Investigators say a western Colorado man exposed a 9-year-old girl to a lethal dose of chloroform, causing her death.
The Grand Junction Daily Sentinel reports that, according to an arrest affidavit, 34-year-old Jeff Beagley called police Nov. 9 and said he found the child unresponsive when he awoke.
Investigators searching a small metal shed at the back of the Grand Junction property say they found an empty bottle of chloroform with a rag. Inside the shed was a makeshift tent with blankets and pillows on the ground, as well as space heaters, a computer monitor, a laptop and a video camera.
According to the arrest affidavit, a search of the home turned up a thumb drive containing “a lot of child porn,” as well as photos and videos of the girl.
Police say Beagley denied any sexual activity happened in the shed.
Toxicology reports revealed extremely high levels of chloroform in the girl’s system, and the Mesa County coroner’s office has ruled her death a homicide.
Online jail documents do not indicate if Beagley has hired an attorney.