Girl bitten by pygmy rattlesnake recovering in hospital
BLUE SPRING STATE PARK, Fla. (AP) — An 11-year-old girl is recovering after being bitten by a pygmy rattlesnake while camping at Blue Spring State Park.
Kelly Bajek tells The Daytona Beach News-Journal that the family was walking to the spring on Sunday when Abigail Bajek screamed she’d been bitten by a snake.
Bajek says the child was bitten on the left foot. She quickly took a picture of the snake to show doctors at the hospital, and called 911.
The mother says Abigail Bajek has been given antivenom and is in good spirits at AdventHealth for Children in Orlando. She says her foot is swollen and bruised.
Pygmy rattlers are common in the southeastern United States. They’re easily camouflaged and often hard to spot.