AP NEWS

WSCC ag science program aids future farmers

February 4, 2017 GMT

VICTORY TWP. — Future farmers of America can get down to the roots of their profession locally by enrolling in the agricultural science program offered through a partnership between West Shore Community College and Michigan State University.

Students enrolled in the program can work toward two-year certification and associate degrees in agricultural operations or fruit and vegetable crop management.

“Currently, 90 percent of graduates from the Michigan State Institute of Agricultural Technology go on to work in the agriculture industry,” said Mark Garrison, local coordinator of the college program. “The other 10 percent go on to earn a four-year degree on the Michigan State campus.

“It’s a great opportunity for students who may not have had the grades to get into Michigan State out of college,” Garrison added.

The local college agricultural science program was launched in the fall of 2016 with Garrison hired on Sept. 1. He is hoping to have 15 to 20 students enroll in the program each year, for a total of 30 to 40 students each year in the two-year program.

“Some of the classes are available online and some by streaming video they can watch live on TV at the West Shore campus, and some are taught in person,” Garrison said. “This partnership allows students to take all the MSU classes here at the West Shore campus.”

Read the full story in the Saturday print and e-Editions of the Ludington Daily News.