Red Cross Seeks Blood Donations Before Holidays
The American Red Cross needs blood donations for the upcoming holiday season.
The time between Thanksgiving and New Year’s Day is notorious for blood shortages because regular donors often are unavailable, American Red Cross officials said. With the shelf life of donated blood just 42 days, hospitals blood banks dry up quickly.
More donations are needed in the weeks leading up to the holidays to help stock the shelves. A single blood donation may help up to three people, according to the American Red Cross.
Kara Romanowski, 20, of Wyoming, is a frequent donor. She’s donated blood 11 times, helping more than 30 people.
“I continue to do it because nothing beats that feeling of knowing you helped change someone’s life,” she said.
To help boost the local blood supply, local blood drives are planned throughout Northeast Pennsylvania this month.
Donating blood takes about one hour and 15 minutes. However, the time can vary depending on the donor’s health history and attendance at the blood drive. Blood donors must be at least 17 years old and in general good health.
The American Red Cross has two blood donation centers in Luzerne and Lackawanna counties:
• Wilkes-Barre Blood Donation Center, 29 New Commerce Blvd., Ashley, open Mondays: 11:30 a.m.-7:30 p.m.; Tuesdays: noon-8 p.m.; Fridays: 7:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m.; Saturdays and Sundays: 7:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
• Scranton Blood Donation Center, 3 West Olive St. (located in the Icebox Complex), open Mondays: 9:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m.; Wednesdays and Thursdays: 11 a.m.-7 p.m.; Saturdays and Sundays: 7:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
For more information on donating, visit redcrossblood.org, download the American Red Cross Blood Donor app, RapidPass, or call 1-800-RED CROSS.
To schedule an appointment to donate blood, visit redcross.org or cruzrojaamericana.org or @RedCross on Twitter.
Contact the writer:
Blood drives in Luzerne County
• Nov. 6 from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Hazleton Chapter House, 165 Susquehanna Blvd., West Hazleton
• Nov. 7 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Park Towers, 1 E. Green St., Nanticoke
• Nov. 8 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Misericordia University, Insalaco Center, 301 Lake St., Dallas
• Nov. 10 from 1 to 6 p.m. at the Wright Twp. Fire Hall, 477 S. Main Road, Mountain Top
• Nov. 11 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at PepsiCo, 290 Research Drive, Jenkins Twp.
• Nov. 14 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. for Luzerne County Employees at the Luzerne County Courthouse, 200 N. River St., Wilkes-Barre