Iraqi Consulate in Michigan open to mourners after attack
SOUTHFIELD, Mich. (AP) — The Iraqi Consulate in suburban Detroit is inviting people to offer condolences to Iraqi victims of a U.S. bombing that killed an Iranian general and others.
There will be a “register of condolences” available Tuesday and Wednesday in Southfield, the Iraqi Consulate said on Facebook.
Iraqis are part of a large Arab American population in the Detroit area, which includes people from Lebanon, Syria and Yemen.
The attack last week near the Baghdad airport killed Iranian Gen. Qassem Soleimani and others. The U.S. Defense Department said it killed Soleimani because he “was actively developing plans to attack American diplomats and service members in Iraq and throughout the region.”
“We have a good relationship with the consulate and are in constant communication. We haven’t had any complaints but we will keep an eye on the event,” Southfield deputy police chief Nick Loussia said.