Egypt to try train conductor in death of youth
CAIRO (AP) — Egypt’s top prosecutor says a train conductor who allegedly forced two poor street vendors without tickets to jump off a moving train, leading to the death of one of the youths, will stand trial.
The incident took place earlier this week in the Nile Delta town of Tanta and has stirred public outrage and calls for the resignation of Egypt’s transportation minister.
The conductor allegedly demanded the youths “pay for tickets but they refused,” after which he reportedly opened a carriage door for them to jump out.
General Prosecutor Hamada el-Sawy says Saturday the conductor, who is in custody, faces two charges including causing injuries that led to the death of one of the two men, and deliberately injuring the other youth.
A trial date has not been set.