Nevada governor asked to lead Vegas shooting memorial effort
LAS VEGAS (AP) — Nevada Gov. Brian Sandoval is being asked to serve as chairman of a committee to design, fund and build a memorial to the victims of the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history.
The Clark County Commission on Tuesday decided to offer the outgoing governor the chance to lead the effort to honor the victims and heroes who emerged from the Oct. 1 attack on the Las Vegas Strip, the Las Vegas Review-Journal reported .
Commission Chairman Steve Sisolak said Sandoval is a compassionate individual who listens to all sides.
“He has a calmness about him that I think would be significant toward working to create something like this,” Sisolak said.
Other commissioners said Sandoval’s leadership would be conducive to a community-based approach to the memorial.
“There’s so many different constituencies involved in Oct. 1 that it can’t be perceived as the county or the city or one group,” Commissioner Larry Brown said. “He is the leader of the state of the Nevada, and it’s appropriate that he be the one to move this effort forward.”
High-stakes gambler Stephen Paddock opened fire last year from a Mandalay Bay hotel suite onto a country music festival below, killing 58 people and injuring hundreds more before killing himself.
County Chief Administrative Officer Les Lee Shell said she researched how memorials were created after mass attacks elsewhere in the country and that commissioners should be prepared for “a long process.”
“Some of them took five years,” she said. “Some of them took 10 years.”
Sisolak said he put in a call to Sandoval’s office after the meeting Tuesday but had not heard back. The Republican governor’s office did not immediately respond to a request for comment Wednesday.
Sisolak, a Democrat, is running against Republican Attorney General Adam Laxalt to succeed Sandoval, who is term limited and can’t seek re-election in the November race.
Information from: Las Vegas Review-Journal, http://www.lvrj.com