AP NEWS

Assault charge dropped but Lockett has not been reinstated to NC State basketball team

March 2, 2019 GMT

Authorities have dismissed an assault charge against North Carolina State University basketball player Eric Lockett. But he has yet to be reinstated to the basketball program. NC State spokesman Fred Demarest explained, “Eric Lockett’s status with our men’s basketball program has not changed, as there is still an ongoing campus review of the matter.”

Lockett, 23, was arrested two weeks ago after he was accused of striking his ex-girlfriend in the face. He was then suspended from the basketball team.

Saskia Guilbaud said she was visiting from Florida and Lockett, who is in his last year of eligibility as a guard for N.C. State, hit her during a fight in his apartment on Western Boulevard.

Guilbaud said she swung at him first, and then he held her down. So, she kicked him to try to escape. She said Lockett elbowed her in the eye, grabbed her throat and then let her go.

“I don’t think he was actually going to kill me,” she told WRAL News at the time. “I think he just said it in the heat of the moment.”

“I think he made a stupid mistake out of impulse,” she said, adding that she wanted the charge to be dropped.

Lockett’s attorney, Lee Turner, said Friday that prosecutors chose not to pursue the case after seeing security video from the College Inn parking deck that showed Lockett trying to leave the area and Guilbaud following him and trying to hit him.

According to court records, the assault on a female charge was dismissed Wednesday. Lockett agreed to complete an eight-week anger management court as part of the deal.