AP NEWS
Related topics

Fire ‘guts’ part of Keslinger Road house, leaves it uninhabitable

December 4, 2017 GMT

DeKALB – An overnight brush fire that spread to a house in the 8400 block of Keslinger Road left the house uninhabitable, although no one was hurt, according to Deputy DeKalb Fire Chief Jim Zarek.

The department was called at 3:38 a.m. Monday to 8455 Keslinger Road, where it took about half an hour to control the fire that was consuming the southwest corner of the house, according to Zarek. Because of the significant winds, firefighters are still keeping watch to make sure no hot spots ignite.

Zarek said the department is investigating how a grass or pine needle fire started. The far-west room in the house is a spare bedroom, he said.

“It’s been completely gutted by the fire, and the rest of the house took extensive fire and heat damage,” he said, adding that the department is still calculating the cost of the damage. “It’s going to be significant with this one.”

Zarek said the residents were assisted by the American Red Cross.