California seeking quake disaster assistance from feds
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — California is asking the U.S. Small Business Administration to declare a disaster for two counties struck by large earthquakes last month.
Gov. Gavin Newsom said Tuesday he’s asking the agency to declare Kern and San Bernardino counties a disaster area, which would make low-interest loans available to people whose homes and businesses suffered damage.
A magnitude-7.1 quake centered near Ridgecrest rocked the Mojave Desert region east of Los Angeles on July 5. It was preceded by a 6.4-temblor and followed by thousands of aftershocks.
Authorities have said the quakes — the largest to hit the region in decades — caused about $100 million damage to Ridgecrest and nearby Trona.
The Governor’s Office of Emergency Services says a survey found that more than 100 homes or businesses had large uninsured losses.