Nebraska couple deciding who will seek US House seat
OMAHA, Neb. (AP) — A former Omaha congressman and his wife are deciding which of them — if either — will run for Congress in 2018 after he lost his seat in November.
Democrat Brad Ashford held the 2nd Congressional District seat from 2014 to 2016, the Omaha World-Herald (http://bit.ly/2q7dAHc ) reported. He said Thursday he’s considering whether to challenge Rep. Don Bacon, the Republican who ousted him last year.
Ashford’s wife, Ann Ferlic Ashford, had previously said she was considering a bid for the office. But on Thursday, she said she’d step aside should her husband vie for the seat.
“I just want Bacon out of there,” she said.
Bacon spokesman Scott Petersen said voters recently considered and rejected the Ashfords.
“Regardless of which Ashford decides to run, either one will be another rubber stamp for Nancy Pelosi and her failed policies,” Petersen said.
Brad Ashford said he was upset with Bacon’s vote Tuesday to repeal the Affordable Care Act.
“The answer for health care has always been a bipartisan solution,” he said. “Today we have gone in the opposite direction. Nebraskans and all Americans will be ill-served by Congressman Bacon’s vote.”
The couple said they’ll announce their decision after Tuesday’s mayoral election in Omaha, where both are advocating for challenger Heath Mello.
Information from: Omaha World-Herald, http://www.omaha.com