School board approves calendar for 2019-20
NEEDLES — Classes will resume on Tuesday, Aug. 13, for the 2019-20 school year of the Needles Unified School District, according to a calendar adopted during the April meeting of district’s board of trustees. The year provides 180 days of instruction.
Proposals were aired last month to give the public and other organizations an opportunity to provide input. The calendar the board approved was the third draft of Calendar A: one of three versions initially drawn up.
Wednesdays continue as early release days when school is in session. Instruction days and school recesses, by month:
• August - 14 days of instruction.
• September - 20 days of instruction; classes recess Sept. 2 for Labor Day.
• October - 18 days of instruction. The first quarter ends on Oct. 11. Classes recess Oct. 14 - 18 for fall break. Parent conferences will be held Oct. 23 and 24. Thursday, Oct. 24, will be an additional early release day.
• November - 18 days of instruction. Classes recess Nov. 11 for Veterans Day; Nov. 28 and 29 for Thanksgiving.
• December - 15 days of instruction. The second quarter and the first semester end Dec. 20. The Christmas break begins Dec. 23 and continues through Jan. 3.
• January - 19 days of instruction. Classes resume Jan. 6 after the Christmas break and will recess Jan. 20 for Martin Luther King Jr. Day.
• February - 18 days of instruction. A long weekend is provided mid-month when classes recess Friday, Feb. 14, then Monday, Feb. 17, for Presidents’ Day.
• March - 17 days of instruction. The third quarter ends March 20. Classes recess March 23 through 27 for spring break.
• April - 21 days of instruction. Parent conferences will be held April 1 and 2. Thursday, April 2, will be an additional early release day. Easter Sunday is on April 12 in 2020; classes will recess April 13 for a spring vacation day.
• May - 20 days of instruction. Classes recess May 25 for Memorial Day. Thursday and Friday, May 28 and 29, will be additional early release days. The fourth quarter and second semester end on the last day of the school year, May 29.