Matthew Kennedy quietly settles noise charge

September 20, 2017 GMT

Matthew “Max” Kennedy’s headline-grabbing arrest last month at a loud Hyannis Port party was quietly settled in a Cape Cod court with a $150 fine.

Kennedy, 52, appeared yesterday in Barnstable District Court before Judge Kathryn E. Hand, nearly two months ahead of his original Nov. 22 court date. A charge of disorderly conduct was dismissed, though he was found responsible on a noise violation and paid a $150 fine, according to the court clerk’s office.

Kennedy and his daughter Caroline were arrested in late August in Hyannis Port after a loud party brought cops calling, the Herald reported.

Caroline Kennedy, 22, also faces a disorderly conduct charge. Her case is still active and she is scheduled to be arraigned on Nov. 22, according to the clerk’s office.

In a statement released through his lawyer, Max Kennedy said, in part, he has the “utmost respect” for the Barnstable Police and his case was “just a noise violation.”

Police said officers had responded to noise complaints on Irving Avenue shortly before 1 a.m. on Aug. 20.

The elder Kennedy was arrested after police said he argued with officers and threw himself into a wall and smashed a cabinet filled with “glass valuables.”

Caroline Kennedy was arrested when she opened the door of the police cruiser in which her father had been put. She later admitted to being drunk, according to a police report that also claimed she told an officer, “I went to Brown (University) and I’m a teacher — sweetheart!” Police wrote she then “stuck her tongue out and repeatedly told me to ‘bleep off’ during booking.”

Max Kennedy is the ninth child of Robert and Ethel Kennedy. He has written two books, including a collection of his late father’s letters, and is an attorney.

He also flirted with a run for Congress in 2001 when he assembled a team to compete for Joe Moakley’s seat after the popular Southie congressman died of leukemia.

Kennedy even moved to the district, but pulled out of the special election, citing concerns for his young family. He also faced scrutiny from the press.

U.S. Rep. Stephen F. Lynch ultimately won that race and hasn’t looked back since.