AP NEWS

Crews battle overnight fire at Fayetteville Wendy’s

October 18, 2018 GMT

Crews extinguished a fire at a Wendy’s restaurant in Fayetteville early Thursday.

Around 1 a.m., firefighters with the Fayetteville Police Department responded to the Wendy’s located at 3748 Ramsey Street.

Officials said the fire was visible from the roof when crews arrived at the scene.

The fire started beneath a cooking surface while employees were cleaning it, officials said, and the fire quickly spread up the exhaust vent pipe to the roof. The fire was quickly extinguished, but heavy smoke was visible inside the restaurant, which suffered moderate damage.

All employees were out of the restaurant before firefighters arrived at the scene, and no injuries were reported.

“The Cumberland County Health Department was notified and will respond to ensure the business doesn’t reopen to serve food until all requirements are met to ensure the environment in the structure is safe to cook and serve out of,” according to a statement from the city.