The Latest: Tulsa at Oklahoma State pushed back one week
The Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:
Oklahoma State’s season-opening game at home against Tulsa has been pushed back a week, with the opposing Golden Hurricane still recovering from multiple players testing positive for COVID-19.
The game, which was supposed to be played Saturday, was rescheduled for Sept. 19.
Tulsa athletic officials said multiple positive tests led to a nine-day pause after preseason camp opened Aug. 7. That limited the Golden Hurricane to seven practices over a 17-day period.
“The safety and health of our student-athletes is always at the core of all of our discussions and decisions. Without time to properly prepare physically we would be putting our student-athletes at a greater risk of injury,” Tulsa athletic director Derrick Gragg said in a statement. “An open date for both schools presented us with the opportunity to reschedule the game for a week later. I’m appreciative of (AD) Mike Holder and Oklahoma State University for their cooperation in coming to this decision.”
Oklahoma State is the second Big 12 team to postpone its opener this weekend. A virus outbreak on TCU’s team led the Horned Frogs to put off their game Friday against SMU. Those teams don’t have a common open date the rest of the scheduled regular season.
Eight conference games are still scheduled Saturday.
Spanish league president Javier Tebas says he expects fans back in the country’s soccer stadiums by next February if vaccine trials are successful.
Tebas says the decision on fans attending games ultimately belongs to local health authorities but it is not likely to happen before there is a vaccine in place.
The league had hoped to have fans back this season but Spain has been dealing with a surge in coronavirus cases recently.
Tebas spoke at an event in which the Spanish league launched its 90th season. The season will begin this weekend.
Manchester City players Riyad Mahrez and Aymeric Laporte have tested positive for the coronavirus.
The players have not displayed any symptoms and are in self-isolation.
City says “everyone at the club wishes Riyad and Aymeric a speedy recovery ahead of their return to training and the new season.”
City starts its season against Wolverhampton Wanderers on Sept. 21 after being given the opening weekend off following its participation in the Champions League quarterfinals in August.
The Thai badminton federation says it has withdrawn from the Thomas and Uber Cups after high-profile players pulled out because of concerns regarding COVID-19.
The federation says the absences of former world champion Ratchanok Intanon, No. 3-ranked mixed doubles pair Dechapol Puavaranukroh and Sapsiree Taerattanachai and others meant the country couldn’t field a team in the Oct. 3-11 world teams event in Denmark.
Thailand badminton federation president Khunying Patama Leeswadtrakul says “player safety and health has always been our priority concern. We respect the players’ decision.”
The Badminton World Federation said last month the Thomas and Uber Cup Finals would go ahead in Aarhus, Denmark, despite an overhaul of the tournament calendar following the shuttering of international competition during the coronavirus pandemic.
The BWF said international participants would not be required to undergo quarantine upon arrival in Denmark provided they had a negative COVID-19 test and appropriate travel documents.
More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports