Click to copy
Click to copy

Boulder Man Found Guilty of Sexual Assault in 2017 Case

December 24, 2018
Ryan Clive Jones
Ryan Clive Jones

A Boulder man has been found guilty of sexually assaulting an 18-year-old woman he met at a bus station last summer.

Ryan Clive Jones, 47, was found guilty of felony sexual assault and misdemeanor unlawful sexual contact by a Boulder County jury Friday, according to Boulder County District Attorney’s Office spokeswoman Shannon Carbone.

After a weeklong trial, the jury deliberated for about seven hours on Friday before reaching a verdict at 4:30 p.m., Carbone said.

“We greatly respect the victim’s courage in coming forward and reporting this sexual assault,” Boulder District Attorney Michael Dougherty said in a statement. “That can be difficult for victims. After this victim reported the sex assault, the Boulder Police Department conducted a very thorough investigation. The two prosecutors, Jessica Dotter and Catrina Weigel, are outstanding attorneys and they work tirelessly to reach the right outcome in cases such as this one. As always, we are grateful for the jury’s service.”

Jones is now set for sentencing on March 29. The sexual assault count is a Class 4 felony that carries a presumptive sentence of two to six years in prison, but the charge falls under Colorado’s indeterminate sentencing law, which means Jones could be incarcerated for life should he get any sort of prison sentence. He could also face 10 years to life on sex offender probation and will have to register as a sex offender.

Jones is currently free on $30,000 bond.

According to an arrest affidavit, a woman told police she was waiting at the Boulder Transit Center at 14th and Walnut streets in downtown Boulder at around midnight on June 28, 2017, when Jones approached her and struck up a conversation.

After talking about his job and her parents’ jobs, the woman said Jones invited her to his apartment — which was just across the street — for a beer. The woman said she didn’t want to miss the bus back home to Longmont, but Jones told her he would take her in an Uber.

According to the affidavit, the woman said Jones began flirting with her and asking her to have sex with him, but she said she refused his advances. She said he then sexually assaulted her before allowing her to leave.

Police were able to use the address the woman provided to find Jones, who the woman positively identified as the man who assaulted her.

Mitchell Byars: 303-473-1329, byarsm@dailycamera.com or twitter.com/mitchellbyars

All contents © copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.