NEW YORK (AP) — Tyson Gay accomplished all his goals at the Adidas Grand Prix: He won, put his body through the grind of rounds — and stayed injury-free.

On a cold, rainy afternoon, the American-record holder eased to victory in the 100 meters, finishing in 10.02 seconds into a headwind Saturday. He appeared to slow down a bit at the end but still beat countryman Ryan Bailey by .13.

"It was important to leave here healthy and not try to push it too hard with the conditions," Gay said. "I feel pretty good."

A year ago at this meet, Gay made his return to competition after major hip surgery, running in the "B'' race as he scrambled to ready himself for Olympic trials. Saturday's Diamond League event on Randall's Island was a very different experience.

After Gay barely missed out on a bronze medal in London, he's off to a strong start this season and looks as though he can challenge Usain Bolt again.

The 100 field had to run semifinals to qualify for the final, which Gay figured would be good preparation for U.S. trials before the world championships in August.

"I'm definitely pleased with the time," he said. "I felt comfortable."

Gay could probably relate to high jumper Blanka Vlasic's feelings on Saturday. The two-time world champion competed for the first time since ankle surgery 16 months ago.

"I cannot explain to you how scared I was before this competition," she said. "I came here; I didn't know if I'm ready or not."

She was ready, all right. Vlasic won, clearing 6 feet, 4¼ inches.

"It's just a dream come true, especially with these conditions," she said. "It took a lot of focus and energy to stay calm from the beginning of warm-up outside, when I was already wet and cold, until the end of the competition. It's not easy to jump under these circumstances. You just cannot get warm enough."

And the cold weather made her foot ache.

"But I don't care," Vlasic said. "I'm happy, and I know it will recover."

Olympic gold medalist David Rudisha won the 800 in 1:45.14 — well off his world record of 1:40.91, but about what he expected considering the weather. Two-time Olympic champion Veronica Campbell-Brown of Jamaica took first in the 200 in 22.53 seconds.

"It's not the type of weather sprinters like," she said.

Reigning world champ Amantle Montsho won the 400; Olympic gold medalist Sanya Richards-Ross, recovering from toe surgery, pulled out after deciding her foot wasn't ready to return to competition.

Olympic silver medalist Michael Tinsley used the weather to his advantage to win the 400 hurdles, staying relaxed and rallying at the end when the wind was at his back. The American finished in 48.43 to edge London bronze medalist Javier Culson.