Related topics

Two Men Arrested in Fort Worth Cafe Shootings

May 18, 1990 GMT

FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) _ Police arrested two men Thursday night in the shooting deaths of four men during a police-style raid Monday on a high-stakes dice game at a lounge, authorities said.

Officers acting on tips from informants arrested Paul Miller, 22, at an auto repair shop and his 19-year-old brother, Timothy, as the younger brother walked along a street near downtown, police said.

At least one more suspect was still being sought in the slayings at the Glass Key Cafe, said police Capt. Randy Ely.

Police raided two homes on the same block in search of the Millers and found a number of weapons, but made no other arrests in the shootings, officials said. It was not yet known whether any of the weapons had been used in the slayings.

Early Monday, men wearing ski masks and camouflage clothing and armed with automatic weapons broke into the game at the Glass Key, shouting ″Task force 3/8″ Four men were shot to death and three other people were wounded, one critically.

There may have been up to $400,000 on the table when the robbery occurred, Ely said earlier. One of those killed, Robert ″Austin″ Satterwhite, 30, had $60,000 in his pocket.

Investigators believe the motive was robbery, but are also considering the possibility of a ″hit″ on one of the dice players or a narcotics connection, Ely said.

He would not confirm witness’ reports that the gunmen yelled ″Get Austin 3/8″ as they broke into the game, but did say the attackers called at least two players by name, Ely said.

Killed along with Satterwhite, who was from Austin, were Fort Worth residents James Lacey, 56; Joe Wafers, 54; and Timothy V. Carter, 45.

Among the wounded, only Earl Edwards Jr. remained hospitalized Thursday night. He was listed in serious condition at John Peter Smith Hospital.

Investigators have not talked to all the people believed to be in the ″inner circle″ of players in the game, police said. Some gamblers, as well as others who were in the lounge, are beleived to have fled before police arrived.

The lounge was a longtime problem, police have said. Officers were dispatched to the club 344 times and 67 arrests were made there during 1989.

The lounge’s owner, Albert Huey-You, was among the wounded. Huey-You, who said his ear was nicked by a shotgun pellet, has decided to close the 45-year- old business, his daughter Stephany Huey-You said Wednesday.