5 Meaty Food Festivals: Bacon, Barbecue, Wings, Lamb, Chili
Bacon, brisket, ribs, chicken, lamb and chili ... that pretty much covers all the food groups, right?
There are two brand-new food festivals coming up, giving us a meaty lineup of events in the greater Bay Area every weekend for the next several weeks. (You’re on your own to grill for Fourth of July weekend.)
Here’s the lowdown:
1. BaconFest, today, June 19: Food Network celebrity Guy Fieri emcees the inaugural BaconFest at Dell’Osso Family Farm along Interstate 5 in Lathrop. The porky lineup includes a bacon cook-off, bacon eating contest, cooking demos, bacon dishes at the bacon alley and bacon bar, and bacon mercantile. And yes, beer. Admission, $25; kids 6-14, $12.50. Details: https://baconfest.com .
2. Silicon Valley Barbeque Championships, June 24-25: Sanctioned by the Kansas City Barbeque Society, this contest has grown to be the second-largest on the West Coast in just five years. From 4-10 p.m. Friday you can chat up the pitmasters; the main event is 11 a.m.-8 p.m. Saturday, when you can buy barbecue from competitors or vendors. Central Park, 909 Kiely Blvd., Santa Clara. Free admission. Details: www.svbbq.com .
3. Festival of Wings at Hot San Jose Nights, July 9: It’s a natural evolution for Hot San Jose Nights, which expanded from automotive to include aviation, to choose a celebration of National Chicken Wing Day for its first-ever food festival. The event hopes to draw some of the top barbecue chefs in the Bay Area to Reid-Hillview Airport, 2500 Cunningham Ave., for the event. Want in on the wing action? Get in touch via www.hotsanjosenights.com . Free admission.
4. San Francisco Lamb Jam, July 17: Chefs in five cities, including San Francisco, try to make the best lamb dish and move on to the national competition. You get to taste the entries, pair them with wine or beer, making spice ribs for your own lamb dishes at home. Oakland chef Sophina Uong, who has won the last two years, will be back to defend her title. Admission, $60. Golden Gate Club, San Francisco. Details: www.americanlamb.com .
5. San Jose Chili Cookoff at San Jose Flea Market, July 23: This second annual contest offers cash prizes and trophies in the categories of red chili, chili verde, salsa and people’s choice. Winners qualify to go on in International Chili Society competition. Have a recipe you want to put to the test? Get in touch via www.sjfm.com . Admission, $2.50; parking free at 1590 Berryessa Road, San Jose.