AP NEWS

Trial set for man accused of sexual abuse

March 6, 2018 GMT

HUNTINGTON — A trial has again been scheduled for a man accused of sexually abusing and photographing his girlfriend’s daughter, who was younger than 10 years old at the time, as he baby-sat her in 2016 in Huntington.

Roy Douglas Watts, 43, of Prichard, is facing an indictment of three counts each of sexual abuse by a person in position of trust and first-degree sexual assault, in addition to the single count of first-degree sexual abuse.

On Thursday, Cabell Circuit Judge Paul T. Farrell set his trial for May 9. Watts, who appeared with a new defense attorney Bob Wible, had previously been set for trial two weeks ago.

Previous to that, Watts was scheduled to face trial in December, but it was delayed due to issues with evidence exchanged between attorneys, both sides said Tuesday.

The alleged abuse occurred in October 2016 while the child’s mother was caring for a family member and left the young girl in Watts’ care, reports from the Cabell County Sheriff’s Office state.

The victim confided in her mother that Watts had “taught her about sex,” reports state, and that the 42-year-old had shown her pornographic videos and taken photos of her in her underwear.

The victim also stated Watts exposed himself and gave her a body massage.

Cabell County Sheriff Chuck Zerkle said Watts, who had previously been jailed and released prior to the investigation, may have begun abusing the girl as early as 2011.

The investigation began March 8, 2017, when deputies were first notified by the victim’s mother.

Watts remains housed at Western Regional Jail in Barboursville pending the outcome of his case.

Follow reporter Courtney Hessler at Facebook.com/CHesslerHD and via Twitter @HesslerHD.