Name of New York man who died in Stamford Harbor Saturday not released

June 26, 2017

STAMFORD — The identity of the New York man who died in a fall off a boat in Stamford Harbor Saturday night was not released Monday pending notification of his family, state environmental officials said.

Department of Energy and Environmental Protection spokesman Dennis Schain said Monday state DEEP police are actively investigating the death but gave no additional information on the 51-year-old man’s disappearance or factors involved in his death were not available Monday morning.

The accident was reported around 11:25 p.m. after boaters noticed the man was no longer aboard a 38-foot cabin cruiser as they neared the dock in Stamford Harbor, Schain said Sunday.

Stamford firefighters from headquarters, police and Emergency Medical Services searched the shore and water for an hour before firefighters found him floating in the water, Stamford Fire Capt. David Harriot said. The U.S. Coast Guard, Greenwich Police Department and Darien Police Department also responded.

The victim was not wearing a life jacket, but was spotted around 12:30 a.m. off the public dock in Boccuzzi Park because of reflective trim material on his sneakers, Stamford Fire Deputy Chief Pat Tripodi said. The crew guided the Stamford fire boat to the man who pulled the man from the water and attempted to resuscitate him, Harriott said.

The man was then transported to Stamford Hospital where he was pronounced dead, according to the DEEP.

The boat had been coming from New York, according to Schain.

The death was one of two serious boating accidents being investigated in local waters Saturday night through Sunday afternoon.

In Darien, a man suffered a serious leg injury Sunday morning around 9:45 a.m. when two boats collided roughly a mile west of Greens Ledge Lighthouse on the Sound, according to police. Both Darien Police and the U.S. Coast Guard are investigating the collision.

The injured man was transported to Norwalk Hospital for further treatment, according to police.

A 33’ sailboat operating under power, with a single person aboard, ran into an anchored 20’ center-console whose three occupants were fishing., according to a Darien Police report. The operator of the sailboat had left the wheel to retrieve something below deck before the crash, according to police.

The injured man was sitting at the rear of the boat, and was struck by the sailboat in the collision, according to police.

The Darien Police Marine Division, the Norwalk Police Marine Division, and the United States Coast Guard- Station Eaton’s Neck all responded to the incident.

Both the Darien Police and USCG are conducting parallel investigations for their respective agencies. The operator of the sailboat was cited by the USCG for “Negligent Operations” under the United States Code. Investigation is ongoing.