Morgan Yoney receives life-saving kidney donation from her mother

July 21, 2017 GMT

Morgan Yoney has received another life-saving organ donation, and this time there was no waiting, because her mother, Tammy Yoney, was her donor.“It was a big deal to see her risking her life for mine,” Morgan said Friday morning, three days after her kidney transplant surgery.Morgan, 23, of Spraggs, needed a kidney after waiting more than two years for a double-lung transplant. She finally received her lung transplant in December, but knew she would need a kidney transplant next.While Morgan was recovering, Tammy was being tested to see if she was a match and would be able to donate one of her kidneys to Morgan.“I was a perfect match, and that’s what I prayed for - that I was able to step up and do what I’ve been asking other people to do,” Tammy said Friday. “I think any mother would do that.“As a baby, Morgan was diagnosed with cystic fibrosis, a genetic disorder in which the lungs and digestive system are clogged with mucus, often resulting in the need for vital organ transplants. In 2010, when she was 15, Morgan had a liver transplant and a double-lung transplant. Three years later her body rejected the lungs and she was put on a transplant waiting list.That wait took a toll on her kidneys.“So many times we’ve been knocking on death’s door,” Tammy said. “The average wait for a kidney is six years, and I don’t know if she would have made it that long without a kidney.“Once doctors found out Tammy was a match, they scheduled the surgery.“It meant a lot to me that she would put her life in the doctor’s hands so that I could continue with my life,” Morgan said about her mother.Tammy’s surgery Tuesday morning took about three hours and Morgan’s a little longer. Both went smoothly, and their kidneys are functioning within a normal range, Tammy said.“We had no issues,” Tammy said. “I think it’s been a good experience. I feel like I’m sore and in some pain, but I’d do it again in a heartbeat to save somebody’s life. It’s not even comparable to what she’s suffered.“Both of the Yoneys are recovering, with Tammy having already been discharged and Morgan expected to be discharged within the next two days. Morgan said she’s ready to get on with her life now, outside of a hospital room.“I’m ready to just let things calm down and chill out for a little bit,” she said.