Autopsy results expected Tuesday for man shot by officers after chase

April 10, 2018 GMT

Autopsy results for the suspect killed in last Friday’s officer-involved shooting – 26-year-old Jonathan Erick Alexander – are expected to be released Tuesday, according to a Yuba County Sheriff’s official.

Alexander was shot and killed by law enforcement officers early Friday morning following a vehicle chase that spanned Yuba County from Wheatland to Marysville.

Wheatland police attempted to stop Alexander’s vehicle for driving into the city at a high speed around 2:30 a.m. When the officer got behind the vehicle, the suspect turned off his lights and continued down the road before eventually stopping.

When he approached the vehicle, the police officer reportedly smelled a strong odor of alcohol. The suspect presented his identification to the officer, but shortly after fled the scene on Highway 65 toward Marysville.

Alexander eventually came to a stop at the intersection of E Street and Sixth Street from what appeared to be a broken wheel or severely damaged tire on the front passenger-side of his vehicle.

The suspect failed to follow officers’ commands to put his hands outside of the window. A police dog was released to force the suspect out of the vehicle but Alexander allegedly shot it when it attempted to do so, prompting three Yuba County deputies and one Marysville police officer to return fire.

The suspect was pronounced dead at the scene. The firearm he used was reportedly recovered at the scene and placed into evidence.

The law enforcement officers involved in the shooting were placed on paid administrative leave pending the outcome of an investigation, which is being conducted by the Yuba-Sutter Officer-Involved Shooting Investigation Team.

Details as to where the man is from, what type of firearm he had, how many times he fired at the dog, the extent of the canine’s injuries and how many times the suspect was shot were not provided by the sheriff’s office when requested Monday.

The police dog, “Glock,” that was shot in the neck during the incident was released from a local veterinary hospital and is at home recovering, said Leslie Carbah, spokesperson for the sheriff’s office.