Germany says citizen being held in Egypt; another missing
BERLIN (AP) — The Foreign Ministry says a German citizen who went missing in Egypt in December is in custody there, and officials are still trying to determine the whereabouts of another who disappeared earlier in the month.
Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Adebahr said Wednesday Mahmoud Abdel Aziz “is in the custody of Egyptian authorities,” but wouldn’t elaborate for privacy reasons.
She says German officials haven’t visited him yet but are “trying very intensively to get access.”
German media reports the 23-year-old Goettingen resident was detained at Cairo airport Dec. 27 en route to visit grandparents.
Ten days earlier, 18-year-old Isa El Sabbagh, from Giessen, disappeared after landing in Luxor on his way to visit his grandfather in Cairo.
Adebahr said the German embassy is still trying to determine his whereabouts.