Veterans Day events in the Sauk Valley
Here are some of the area groups and agencies that will be honoring service members past and present with public events, all on Saturday, Veterans Day, unless otherwise noted:
• Amboy: Amboy American Legion members will present a program at 10 a.m. Friday at the Amboy High School gym, 11 E. Hawley St. There will be a speaker.
A Veterans Day dinner begins at 6 p.m. Tuesday, after Veterans Day, at Walton Tap, 906 Walton Road. Veterans, their spouses and the public are invited. Call 815-857-2381 for more information.
• Ashton: The Ashton American Legion will present a program at 10:30 a.m. Friday at the Mills and Petrie Building, 704 N. First St. Students from Ashton-Franklin Center Junior-Senior High School will attend. The Rev. Jack Briggs with First Presbyterian Church in Franklin Grove and Lee Center First Congregational United Church of Christ will speak.
• Chadwick: A service will take place at 8:15 a.m. Friday at Chadwick Middle School, 15 E. School St. Col. Timothy J. Fenlason with the Army Sustainment Command will speak. Patriot Pen Award winners will be announced, and the middle school band will perform.
• Dixon: Ceremonies begin at 11 a.m. at Veterans Memorial Park, 668 Memorial Parkway. Navy Lt. Cmdr. Ryan Wilson will speak, a color guard will be present, and there will be a rifle salute and taps.
At noon, American Legion Post 12 will have an open house at the hall, 1120 W. First St. Bring a dish to pass.
VFW Post 540 also will have an open house with a free lunch starting at noon at 1560 state Route 38. The band Thistle and Lace will perform.
• Lanark: Eastland Schools will have a breakfast for veterans, their spouses, and spouses of deceased veterans at 7:30 a.m. Friday in the Eastland High School gym, 500 S. School Drive. Call 815-493-6341 to make reservations.
At 8:30 a.m., Eastland will have a Veterans Day assembly and ceremony. Lanark and Shannon American Legionnaires, Shannon American Legion Ladies Auxiliary, Lanark Veterans of Foreign Wars Post, Northwest Illinois Chapter of the Korean War, and Korean Service Veterans Association will participate. Band and choral students will perform. Blake Musser, a Marine deployed in the Asian theater and in 2004 to Ramadi, Iraq, will speak.
On Veterans Day, the Lanark Legion and VFW’s annual supper for veterans and their spouses begins at 6 p.m. at the Heritage Center, 106 S. Broad St. Meat, vegetables, and beverages will be provided; bring a salad or dessert to pass and your own table service. State Rep. Tony McCombie, R-Savanna, will speak, and the Eastland Junior-Senior High School band will perform.
• Milledgeville: Milledgeville High School will have a program at 12:30 p.m. Friday in the gym, 100 E. Eighth St. Col. Timothy J. Fenlason with Army Sustainment Command will speak. The choir and band will perform, and the Chadwick-Milledgeville FFA will have a presentation,
• Morrison: American Legion Post 228 will have a ceremony at 11 a.m. at Grove Hill Cemetery, 400 E. High St. Jim Prombo will speak, and there will be a rifle salute and taps.
• Polo: Centennial Elementary School will have a lunch for all area veterans from 11 a.m. to 12:25 p.m. Friday in the school cafeteria, 308 S. Pleasant Ave. Dessert and coffee will be provided afterward in the community room.
A Veterans Day program begins at 1 p.m. Friday in the gym.
• Prophetstown: A program begins at 10 a.m. Friday at Prophetstown Elementary School, 301 W. Third St. Details are being finalized.
• Rochelle: Roberts Armory World War II Museum will open from 1 to 4 p.m. as part of the Lincoln Highway Heritage Festival. The museum has artifacts from World War II, specializing in the 70th Tank Battalion and 10th Mountain Division. The Higgins Boat also will be open, weather permitting.
Admission is free. To find the museum, go to the intersection of state Route 251 and Intermodal Road in Rochelle and follow the signs about 3 miles to the museum. Go to robertsarmory.com for more information.
• Rock Falls: American Legion Post 712 will have a ceremony with a rifle salute at 10:30 a.m. at Triangle Park, at Fifth Avenue and Fifth Street. Legionnaires will visit area nursing homes in the afternoon.
• Savanna: West Carroll Primary School’s program begins at 1 p.m. Thursday at the school, 2215 Wacker Road. The program is being determined.
VFW Post 2223 and American Legion Post 148 will have a program at 10:30 a.m. on Veterans Day at the Savanna Museum and Cultural Center, 406 Main St. The Men of Calvary will perform several pieces. Col. Steven Allen, commander of the 407th Army Field Support Brigade, will speak. VFW Cmdr. Mike Raleigh and Legion Cmdr. Paul Mayer will place a wreath. There will be a rifle salute and taps.
• Sterling: Morningside of Sterling is serving a free meal for veterans from 8 to 10 a.m. Thursday at the home, 2705 Ave. E. Call 815-622-2800 for more information.
At 2 p.m. Friday, Challand Middle School, students will speak, a color guard will be on hand, and there will be a rifle salute.
At 11 a.m. Saturday at Sterling High School’s Centennial Auditorium, 1608 Fourth Ave., there will be a speaker and the Sterling High School band will perform unless it is playing at a Sterling Golden Warriors postseason football game. The flag will be folded, and there will be a color guard and a rifle salute.
• Tampico: American Legion Post 574′s service begins at 11 a.m. at Reagan Park, at Main and Glassburn streets. Afterward, free refreshments will be served at Tampico Historical Museum, 119 Main St.
Don’t see your event listed here?
Anyone with an event not listed can send the information to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 815-625-3600, ext. 5501 or 5502.