Related topics

Seymour fire forces residents to demolish what’s left of home

December 12, 2017 GMT

SEYMOUR — A serious house fire on Sunday left the occupants with no other option but to demolish what is still standing, fire officials said.

Seymour firefighters were dispatched to a structure fire in the 100 block of Bungay Road Sunday evening. The first units at the scene reported that two sides of the residence were fully involved with fire.

Deputy Fire Marshal Timothy Willis said the house was occupied by a couple in their 60s and their granddaughter.

“They were shaken up, but physically OK,” Willis said. He said the man had a very minor burn on his back that he got while leaving the house. “Otherwise they were uninjured.”

Willis said the house was so extensively damaged that it will “require them to demolish what is left standing.”

Four Seymour Fire Department engines and multiple additional fire trucks from the town responded to the scene. Firefighters from several neighboring towns assisted, including firefighters from Oxford, Beacon Falls, Bethany, Stevenson and Ansonia.

Several towns brought in tankers to assist with Sunday’s fire, Seymour fire officials said. The area of Bungay Road doesn’t have fire hydrants.

Willis said the fire on Bungay Road remains under investigation by the Connecticut State Police Fire and Explosion Investigation Unit.

Sunday’s fire was the second in town in less than a week.

Around 6:30 p.m. on Dec. 7, Seymour firefighters were dispatched to a residence in the 20 block of Tomlinson Road for a structure fire.

The first units to arrive reported a working structure fire and additional units responded to the area.The firefighters made entry to the residence and contained the fire to two rooms. No one was injured.

Willis said the cause of the fire on Tomlinson Road was a candle that had been knocked over. He said a mother and her two small children were displaced by the fire.

“Fortunately both of the house fires we have had this week have had family members nearby that were able to take the families in,” Willis said.