Downtown building’s demolition to yield parking lot; adjacent building to be renovated
The demolition of a historic building in downtown Spokane has started, preparing the property and adjoining building for an estimated $1 million in improvements, according to city permit records.
The 110-year-old building being torn down at 119 S. Stevens St. was built in 1907 and housed an early grocery wholesale distributor, the McClintock-Trunkey Co.
Cody Coombs, who owns the building, plans to renovate an adjoining historic building into office space, according to documents filed with the city. The two-story, 17,000-square-foot grocery building, which has been used as a parking garage for almost seven decades, will be torn down and replaced with a 57-stall parking lot. The remaining five-story building, which abuts the BNSF Railway viaduct, is 6,000 square feet.
The existing building will be mixed-use, primarily office space.
According to county parcel data, the Stevens property was purchased in July 2015 for $1.2 million by Evergreen Parking & Warehouse LLC, which Coombs owns.
Coombs is part of a father-son development team that has been active in Spokane’s neighborhood centers. In 2016, they took down a house just off South Perry Street with plans to build and lease a parking lot to the city of Spokane for an estimated $55,000 a year. The lot remains vacant and undeveloped.
In 2013, the Coombs built the building occupied by Perry Street Brewing. They also renovated the East Sprague Avenue building where Bennidito’s Pizza opened a second location in 2014. Dave Coombs, Cody’s father, owned the downtown Honda and Toyota dealerships before selling them in 2009 to focus on real estate.
Garco Construction, of Spokane, is the project’s general contractor. Clay Conrad, with Garco, is the architect. Bob Green, also of Spokane, did the structural engineering.