Related topics

Huntington boys beat Woodrow Wilson, 68-64, in OT

January 26, 2018 GMT

HUNTINGTON - Huntington High had all the answers Wednesday for their boys basketball matchup with Woodrow Wilson.

When they needed it the most, that answer was Andrew Shull, who sank a game-tying 3-pointer from the corner to send the game to overtime before the Highlanders earned a 68-64 win over Woodrow Wilson.

Shull led all scorers with 20 points - none bigger than the 3-pointer from the corner that was set up off an assist from Jadon Hayes.

“At first, I didn’t think it was good,” Shull said. “But the more I watched it, I knew it was going in.”


Huntington improved to 8-3 overall, 7-1 in the Mountain State Athletic Conference with the win and kept pace with Beckley (9-2, 4-1 MSAC), which suffered its first loss in conference play.

In overtime, the Highlanders used the momentum of Shull’s shot to dictate the pace of the game.

Although Woodrow Wilson opened with the first point, Dawson scored two of his 19 points to give Huntington a lead and Amare Smith scored at the 3:00 mark to extend Huntington’s advantage to 63-60, forcing Woodrow Wilson to play catch up the rest of the way.

Woodrow Wilson’s Bryce Radford scored on an uncontested layup with 10 seconds remaining in the overtime to cut Huntington’s lead to 66-64, but Smith sank two foul shots for the Highlanders to preserve the win.

The fourth quarter was a wild one as Mikal Dawson scored six straight for the Highlanders to produce a four-point lead with 4:12 to play. However, Woodrow Wilson fought back, taking a four-point lead of its own with :33.6 left in regulation. Dawson answered to cut it back to a one-possession game.

The teams traded field goals before Woodrow Wilson took a 59-56 lead on free throws by Eddie Christian with :06.6 remaining.

Huntington took the inbounds and drove the floor where Hayes found Shull in the corner, a play Shull said head coach Ron Hess set up for him.

“Coach told me to be in the corner and Jadon set me up with a perfect pass,” Shull said.

With the ball clearly out of Shull’s hands as the buzzer sounded the only question was whether the shot would actually make it in.

That was answered with a swish of the net and the roar of the Highlander fans.

Shull was the answer throughout the evening for the Highlanders, playing big in the second quarter as the Highlanders played without Mikal Dawson, who picked up two fouls in the first quarter and was on the bench for all of the second quarter before returning in the second half.


Without Dawson, Huntington struggled to keep pace with Woodrow Wilson who seemed on the verge of seizing momentum to break the game open on multiple instances.

The Flying Eagles opened up a lead as large as seven points midway through the third period when Dawson, Darnell Wright and Hayes scored to answer the Woodrow Wilson run and trim the lead to one point.

In addition to Shull’s production, Dawson scored 19 points for the Highlanders, who also saw Smith, a freshman, score four of his nine points in the extra session, including the game-clinching free throws.

Christian scored 14 points to lead Woodrow Wilson while Radford and Ty Walton each added 13 points in the loss.

WOODROW WILSON 13 12 15 19 5 -- 64: Ty Walton 13, Bryce Radford 13, Penn 9, Eddie Christian 14, Bickey 5.

HUNTINGTON HIGH 11 14 13 21 9 -- 68: Hayes 1, Damous 5, Blackwell 6, Shull 20, Dawson 19, Stevens 2, Smith 9, Wright 6.