New Mexico state representative removed from ballot

SANTA FE, N.M. (AP) — Democratic New Mexico state Rep. Patricio Ruiloba was removed from the June 2 ballot after he did not follow procedure in collecting qualifying petition signatures, a district judge said.

Judge Joshua Allison ordered Bernalillo County and the state election officials on Monday not to include Ruiloba on the ballot, the Albuquerque Journal reported Tuesday.

The state representative was disqualified because he did not include his district number on his paperwork. Ruiloba has represented House District 12, covering parts of southwest Albuquerque, since 2015.

The state Supreme Court had previously held that the district number for the office sought is required to ensure voters signing the petition know whether they are qualified to do so, Allison said.

Ruiloba has argued that the voters in his district know who he is and understand he was collecting signatures to run for reelection, adding that he intends to file an appeal.

No other candidate has filed to run ahead of the primary election, but minor party, independent and write-in candidates could emerge as deadlines approach.