The nerves were there. They were unavoidable, really. Yet rather than greet them with anxiety or fear as she did the last time she stood on the competition floor, Laurie Hernandez embraced...
The human trafficking case brought against a former U.S. Olympics women’s gymnastics coach hours before he killed himself could signal a new approach to policing a sport already dogged by a...
NORMAN, Okla. (AP) — Division I softball is providing a training ground this season for players preparing for the 2021 Summer Olympics in Japan.
WASHINGTON (AP) — America's longest war is approaching a crossroads.
President Joe Biden's choices in Afghanistan boil down to this: withdraw all troops by May, as promised by his...
In one corner are the 15 leading Olympic sponsors, many household names like Airbnb, Coca-Cola, Visa, Toyota, Samsung and General Electric. Together they pay at least $1 billion to the...
LANSING, Mich. (AP) — A former U.S. Olympics gymnastics coach with ties to disgraced sports doctor Larry Nassar killed himself Thursday, hours after being charged with turning his Michigan gym...
A former U.S. Olympics gymnastics coach's apparent suicide hours after being charged Thursday with crimes, including sexual assault, human trafficking and running a criminal enterprise is the...
GENEVA (AP) — After years of costly and time-consuming competitions to host the Olympics, the race to stage the 2032 Summer Games might just have passed you by.
Ex-US Olympics gymnastics coach John Geddert charged in Michigan in investigation tied to Larry Nassar sex abuse scandal
LANSING, Mich. (AP) — Ex-US Olympics gymnastics coach John Geddert charged in Michigan in investigation tied to Larry Nassar sex abuse scandal.
- Asian Games end and Japan, China turn eyes to Tokyo Olympics
- Japan women improve to win Asian Games rugby goldSeptember 1, 2018 GMT
- Japan women win soccer, field hockey gold at Asian Games
- Son's last shot for military exemption at Asian Games
- Mixed relay makes Asian Games debut; China back atop medals
- Combined Koreas crew wins historic medal at Asian Games
- Inoue wins Asian Games marathon gold medal in sprint finish
- 6th gold gives Ikee a record 8th medal at Asian Games
- Taiwan _ by whatever name _ still winning at Asian Games
- Japanese teenager Ikee wins 5th gold medal at Asian Games
- Silver lining for young and old athletes at Asian Games
- Nationality confusion forces Zabelinskaya out of Asian Games
- Sun rises, flags fall on opening night of swimming finals
- Japan: Asian Games a proving ground for 2020 Tokyo Olympics
- Asian Games: Something for everybody _ even contract bridge
- With Tokyo 2020 looming, Japan aims high at Asian Games
- Young India shooter Anish Bhanwala targets gold at Asiad
- Son Heung-min arrives in Indonesia for Asian GamesAugust 13, 2018 GMT
- As Asian Games host, Indonesia has more at stake than sport
- Koreas extend conciliatory steps to Asian Games
- Women's volleyball captain Zhu leads China into Asian Games
- Silver lining for young and old athletes at Asian GamesAugust 23, 2018 GMT
CAPE TOWN, South Africa (AP) — Caster Semenya is going to the European Court of Human Rights to challenge “discriminatory” rules that prohibit her from competing in certain track events because of...
BRISBANE, Australia (AP) — There was no fanfare. No iconic announcement.
An Australian push to host the 2032 Olympics was elevated overnight to the status of preferred bid, and the people of...
LAUSANNE, Switzerland (AP) — The IOC warned weightlifting’s troubled governing body again on Wednesday the sport faces being dropped from the 2024 Paris Olympics if doping and leadership issues...
- Ledecky to tackle all 4 distances in Tokyo _ 200 to 1,500
- US Olympian Katie Ledecky gives swim tips to Tokyo students
- Pan Pacs: Ledecky, Dressel get wins; Ikee pleases home fans
- Cate Campbell atones for failure in Rio de Janeiro Olympics
- Ruck wins 200 at Pan Pacific, Ledecky gets 3rd
- Forgetting about world record brings Peaty closer to it
- Teenage swimmer Kolesnikov adds gold, silver to medal haul
- Peaty shaves 0.13 off of own 100m breaststroke world record
- Peaty world record corrected to 57.10 after timing error
- Day after Peaty record, Britain adds 2 more swimming golds
- 4 golds from 4 events: Peaty displays breaststroke dominance
- Michael Andrew caps breakout US Nationals with 50 free win
- Missy Franklin misses out at US Nationals
- Ledecky cruises to easy win in 800 free at US Nationals
- US swim nationals set to go on without banned Lochte
- Tokyo 2020: Will Ryan Lochte and Sue Bird be there?
- Ryan Lochte's future? Even he isn't sure what's next
- Japanese swimmer Junya Koga denies doping chargesMay 23, 2018 GMT
GENEVA (AP) — Did the Australian city of Brisbane just get picked as the host of the 2032 Olympics?
It looked that way Wednesday when the International Olympic Committee named the bid...
ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — Alaska's Matanuska-Susitna Borough plans to submit a bid to host the 2024 Arctic Winter Games.
Leaders of the borough north of Anchorage issued a statement...
AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — With every pull of an oar in the water, Gevvie Stone gets closer to a hopeful return to the Olympics and eventually the medical career she has put on hold for nearly three...
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) — This team that USA Basketball assembled for its final two FIBA AmeriCup qualifying games knew it would be together for only about a week.
BOLZANO, Italy (AP) — An Italian judge on Thursday shelved a criminal investigation into former Olympic race walking champion Alex Schwazer, citing strong evidence that his urine samples were...
TOKYO (AP) — Seiko Hashimoto has appeared in seven Olympics, four in the winter and three in the summer — the most by any “multi-season” athlete in the games.
- US beats Japan 7-6 in final of softball world championship
- US beats Japan 4-3 to reach final of softball worlds
- US beats Australia 3-1 at women's softball worldsAugust 10, 2018 GMT
- US beats Puerto Rico 8-1 at women's softball worldsAugust 8, 2018 GMT
- US overpowers South Africa 7-0 at women's softball worldsAugust 7, 2018 GMT
- US beats Philippines 12-0 at softball world championshipsAugust 6, 2018 GMT
- United States beats Netherlands 11-0 at softball worldsAugust 5, 2018 GMT
- US beats Taiwan 7-0 at women's softball worldsAugust 4, 2018 GMT
- Abbott solid as USA beats Mexico 5-2 at softball worldsAugust 3, 2018 GMT
TOKYO (AP) — Japan launched its coronavirus vaccination campaign Wednesday, months after other major economies started giving shots and amid questions about whether the drive would would reach...
TOKYO (AP) — Japan's first coronavirus shots were given to health workers Wednesday, beginning a vaccination campaign considered crucial to holding the already delayed Tokyo Olympics.
TORONTO (AP) — Canada’s main opposition party on Tuesday urged the government to press the International Olympic Committee to move the 2022 Winter Olympics out of Beijing, arguing China is...
TOKYO (AP) — Yoshiro Mori's replacement as president of the Tokyo Olympic organizing committee is expected to be named very quickly. The 83-year-old former prime minister was forced to step down...
LAUSANNE, Switzerland (AP) — A global boxing qualifying tournament for the Tokyo Olympics has been canceled and a European event was postponed from April to June.
SYDNEY (AP) — Former Olympic swimmer Scott Miller was in custody on Tuesday and charged with drug trafficking after Australian police seized methamphetamine valued at 2 million Australian dollars...
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — Dubai International Airport saw the coronavirus pandemic push passenger traffic down by an unprecedented 70% in 2020 compared to the previous year, its CEO...
ATLANTA (AP) — Atlanta United has bolstered a week spot by signing defensive midfielder Santiago Sosa on a transfer from Argentina's River Plate club.
Lisa Darmanin is eager to break the glass ceiling on the Australia SailGP Team, even if it means dislodging her cousin and Olympic sailing partner, Jason Waterhouse.
TOKYO (AP) — Yoshiro Mori resigned as the president of the Tokyo Olympic organizing committee on Friday after sexist comments made last week in which he said women “talk too much.”
LAUSANNE, Switzerland (AP) — The United States, Russia and China were each given an extra entry to the Olympic women's gymnastics competition in Tokyo on Wednesday after the coronavirus pandemic...
ATHENS, Greece (AP) — Before she could join sailing classes near her home in Athens, Sofia Bekatorou had to show an instructor she could tie a basic knot properly. Passing the test at age 8...
Erkki Parkkinen had just come in from a lovely February day in Salla.
The temperature climbed all the way to minus-10 degrees Celsius — roughly 14 degrees Fahrenheit. After a sluggish start...
MIAMI (AP) — The United States under-24 team will open men’s Olympic soccer qualifying against Costa Rica on March 18 at the CONCACAF tournament in Guadalajara, Mexico.
Norway is predicted to top the medals table at the Winter Olympics in Beijing, according to one forecast released a year before the games are to open.
Building elaborate venues for Beijing's 2022 Winter Olympics is the easy part for China, just as it was for the city's Summer Olympics in 2008. The competition venues are ready, and...
TOKYO (AP) — A coalition of 180 rights groups on Wednesday called for a boycott of next year’s Beijing Winter Olympics tied to reported human rights abuses against ethnic minorities in...
CALGARY, Alberta (AP) — St. Louis Blues general manager Doug Armstrong will be the GM for the Canadian men's team if if NHL players participate in the 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing.
MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) — Ben Simmons says he hopes to play for Australia's Olympic basketball team at the Tokyo Games after being included in a 24-man squad on Wednesday by coach Brian...
BASEL, Switzerland (AP) — Roger Federer is aiming to play his first tournament after two knee surgeries and more than one year out in Qatar next month.
Former U.S. Olympic hopeful Keyshawn Davis will make his professional debut on the undercard of Saul “Canelo” Alvarez's next bout Feb. 27 in Florida.
WARSAW, Poland (AP) — Ryszard Szurkowski, a two-time Olympic cycling silver medalist from Poland, died Monday. He was 75.
Iwona Arkuszewska-Szurkowska said her husband died at a hospital in...
CAIRO (AP) — Denmark will go to the Tokyo Olympics as world men's handball champion after beating Sweden 26-24 in the final on Sunday.
Mikkel Hansen scored seven goals and goalkeeper Niklas...
ASPEN, Colo. (AP) — When sports fans hear the name Eileen Gu over the next 12 months — and they will hear it a lot — it will not be by accident.