Sunday, April 18
On this date in 1924, the Chiricahua National Monument was established.
On this date in 1924, 1,600 motorists were stranded at points of entrance to Arizona because of...
GOLD COAST, Australia (AP) — Two-time Canadian Olympic gold medalist Alex Baumann has been named chief executive of Swimming Australia, moving up from his current position as chief strategist at...
MOSCOW (AP) — The Russian flag is barred from the Olympics in a doping dispute. You wouldn't know it to look at the Russian uniforms.
The International Olympic Committee told The Associated...
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Two-time Olympic boxing gold medalist Claressa Shields has a date and an opponent for her mixed martial arts debut with the Professional Fighters League.
SYDNEY (AP) — Australian athletes are preparing for a games like no other before them when the Tokyo Olympics start on July 23 — 100 days from Wednesday.
Conn Findlay, a four-time Olympic medalist in the sports of rowing and sailing and a member of two winning America’s Cup crews, has died. He was 90.
OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — The Oklahoma City Thunder have signed Gabriel Deck to a multi-year contract.
Per team policy, terms of the agreement were not released.
It may have been a slip of the tongue, or perhaps a bit of miscommunication in a new administration.
That’s little consolation to hundreds of potential Olympians around the country. Just to...
The United States' delayed second chance at qualifying for the Olympic baseball tournament has been moved to the spring training home of the Houston Astros and the Washington Nationals and the...
- Asian Games end and Japan, China turn eyes to Tokyo Olympics
- Japan women improve to win Asian Games rugby goldSeptember 1, 2018 GMT
- Japan women win soccer, field hockey gold at Asian Games
- Son's last shot for military exemption at Asian Games
- Mixed relay makes Asian Games debut; China back atop medals
- Combined Koreas crew wins historic medal at Asian Games
- Inoue wins Asian Games marathon gold medal in sprint finish
- 6th gold gives Ikee a record 8th medal at Asian Games
- Taiwan _ by whatever name _ still winning at Asian Games
- Japanese teenager Ikee wins 5th gold medal at Asian Games
- Silver lining for young and old athletes at Asian Games
- Nationality confusion forces Zabelinskaya out of Asian Games
- Sun rises, flags fall on opening night of swimming finals
- Japan: Asian Games a proving ground for 2020 Tokyo Olympics
- Asian Games: Something for everybody _ even contract bridge
- With Tokyo 2020 looming, Japan aims high at Asian Games
- Young India shooter Anish Bhanwala targets gold at Asiad
- Son Heung-min arrives in Indonesia for Asian GamesAugust 13, 2018 GMT
- As Asian Games host, Indonesia has more at stake than sport
- Koreas extend conciliatory steps to Asian Games
- Women's volleyball captain Zhu leads China into Asian Games
- Silver lining for young and old athletes at Asian GamesAugust 23, 2018 GMT
GENEVA (AP) — The delayed trial of Olympic powerbroker Sheikh Ahmad al-Fahad al-Sabah, charged with forgery in an alleged Kuwaiti coup plot, is now set to open in August.
DANVILLE, Ky. (AP) — Centre College is planning a $50 million campus project that will add a new athletics building with an Olympic-length pool and indoor track.
TOKYO (AP) — Kyoko Ishikawa was a back-packing Japanese student in Barcelona in 1992 when she says a “miracle happened.” She managed to buy a ticket to the opening ceremony of Spain's historic...
- Ledecky to tackle all 4 distances in Tokyo _ 200 to 1,500
- US Olympian Katie Ledecky gives swim tips to Tokyo students
- Pan Pacs: Ledecky, Dressel get wins; Ikee pleases home fans
- Cate Campbell atones for failure in Rio de Janeiro Olympics
- Ruck wins 200 at Pan Pacific, Ledecky gets 3rd
- Forgetting about world record brings Peaty closer to it
- Teenage swimmer Kolesnikov adds gold, silver to medal haul
- Peaty shaves 0.13 off of own 100m breaststroke world record
- Peaty world record corrected to 57.10 after timing error
- Day after Peaty record, Britain adds 2 more swimming golds
- 4 golds from 4 events: Peaty displays breaststroke dominance
- Michael Andrew caps breakout US Nationals with 50 free win
- Missy Franklin misses out at US Nationals
- Ledecky cruises to easy win in 800 free at US Nationals
- US swim nationals set to go on without banned Lochte
- Tokyo 2020: Will Ryan Lochte and Sue Bird be there?
- Ryan Lochte's future? Even he isn't sure what's next
- Japanese swimmer Junya Koga denies doping chargesMay 23, 2018 GMT
The U.S. national team continues its preparations for the Tokyo Olympics by playing the team that knocked the Americans out of the Brazil Games.
The death of a 117-year-old program, one that captured championships and produced Olympians, ended with a gasp. And then a vote.
The fact the former did not alter the outcome of the latter...
MISSION VIEJO, Calif. (AP) — Katie Ledecky won the 200-meter freestyle at the TYR Pro Swim Series meet with the world’s fastest time this year.
TOKYO (AP) — Japan announced Friday that it will raise the coronavirus alert level in Tokyo to allow tougher measures to curb the rapid spread of a more contagious variant ahead of the Summer...
Two-time Olympic beach volleyball medalist April Ross has a rare opportunity to relax with 100 days to go before the Tokyo Games.
PERTH, Australia (AP) — Australia's traditionally strong Olympic field hockey teams are having trouble playing competitive matches ahead of the Tokyo Games, not unlike dozens of other...
- US beats Japan 7-6 in final of softball world championship
- US beats Japan 4-3 to reach final of softball worlds
- US beats Australia 3-1 at women's softball worldsAugust 10, 2018 GMT
- US beats Puerto Rico 8-1 at women's softball worldsAugust 8, 2018 GMT
- US overpowers South Africa 7-0 at women's softball worldsAugust 7, 2018 GMT
- US beats Philippines 12-0 at softball world championshipsAugust 6, 2018 GMT
- United States beats Netherlands 11-0 at softball worldsAugust 5, 2018 GMT
- US beats Taiwan 7-0 at women's softball worldsAugust 4, 2018 GMT
- Abbott solid as USA beats Mexico 5-2 at softball worldsAugust 3, 2018 GMT
Four years ago, the closest Australian Olympic sailing medalists Lisa Darmanin and Nina Curtis could get to the America’s Cup was by taking jobs in a hospitality lounge on site in...
Middle-distance runner Kameron Jones' lasting mark on the Clemson track and field program may not have anything to do with the times he turns in or the medals he brings home.
LAUSANNE, Switzerland (AP) — Russian Olympic champions Andrei Silnov and Natalya Antyukh have each been banned for four years for doping offenses, the Court of Arbitration for Sport said...
TOKYO (AP) — The Tokyo Olympic torch relay will not run through the streets of Osaka prefecture next week because of rising COVID-19 cases.
The U.S. State Department says it's talking with allies about China's human rights record and how to handle next year's Beijing Winter Olympics.
WASHINGTON (AP) — The State Department said Tuesday the Biden administration is consulting with allies about a joint approach to China and its human rights record, including how to handle the...
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — It’s a point of pride that stretches across dozens of universities, many of them rivals, and all the college sports leagues, many of which compete for the same dollars and the...
SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — North Korea became the first country to drop out of the Tokyo Olympics because of coronavirus fears, a decision that underscores the challenges facing Japan as it...
TOKYO (AP) — Japanese swimmer Rikako Ikee on Sunday qualified for the Tokyo Olympics just two years after she was diagnosed with leukemia.
She swam a time of 57.77 seconds in the 100-meter...
FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) — Kyle Dake ended Jordan Burroughs' decade of dominance in American wrestling, making the Olympics for the first time with a sweep in the men's freestyle 74-kilogram finals...
Grant Hill helped the U.S. win Olympic gold in 1996. He would have been on the team again in 2000 if not for injury. And he was among the college kids who famously beat the first “Dream Team” in a...
FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) — Kyle Dake made fast work of his two opponents at the U.S. Olympic wrestling trials on Friday night to earn his much anticipated shot against Jordan Burroughs.
Clara Lamore Walker, who swam for the U.S. at the 1948 Olympic Games in London, won three national championships, and later in life set hundreds of national and world swimming records in several...
SAN ANTONIO (AP) — Dawn Staley remembers talking to her Olympic coach Tara VanDerveer before she took the job at Temple two decades ago.
The longtime Stanford coach actually suggested that...
GENEVA (AP) — The retrial of Olympic swimming champion Sun Yang will be held by sport's highest court next month after his initial eight-year ban for alleged doping violations was overturned last...
BEIJING (AP) — The organizers of the 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics started 10 days of testing Thursday for the hockey and other indoor venues.
BRISBANE, Australia (AP) — Former two-time Olympic silver medalist canoeist Nathan Baggaley and his younger brother have been found guilty of plotting to smuggle 200 million Australian dollars...
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — It was a scene reminiscent of pre-pandemic Dubai: Art lovers dressed in designer clothes or alternative fashion, walking around in one of the city's many swanky...
The spotlight is on Jordan Burroughs and Kyle Dake heading into the U.S. Olympic wrestling trials.
Burroughs has been the standard bearer for American wrestling since winning gold in London...
SYDNEY (AP) — The topical color was yellow on Wednesday. The plan is to convert that to gold.
Olympic champion and rugby sevens player Charlotte Caslick was one of 10 Australian athletes who...
LAUSANNE, Switzerland (AP) — World champion sprinter Salwa Eid Naser will have a two-day appeal hearing next month that could lead to a ban from the Tokyo Olympics for breaking anti-doping...
NEW YORK. (AP) — The Catch-22 for U.S. men’s soccer in the Olympics is this: The better a player gets, the less likely he is to play.
And compounding the difficulty is a structural issue,...
TOKYO (AP) — Many fans living outside Japan who bought tickets for the Tokyo Olympics from brokers — known as Authorized Ticket Resellers — will not get full refunds. And they may have a long wait...
American players fell to the field at the final whistle. Another missed Olympics soccer tournament for the U.S. men.
Juan Carlos Obregón scored in the fourth minute of first-half stoppage...
The trendline is clear: The United States failed to qualify for the men’s Olympic soccer tournament in 2012 and 2016, then ended a streak of seven straight World Cup appearances when it missed out...