FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. (AP) — On a chilly November night 50 years ago, a 7-year-old Peter Bratt, his four siblings and their single mother left their San Francisco home for the pier. From there, they...
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — For Eloy Martinez, returning to Alcatraz Island meant a joyous reunion with people he hadn’t seen in decades. It also brought a renewed sense of hope and pride.
Native Americans mark lessons of Alcatraz takeover
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — The Latest on the 50th anniversary of the Native American takeover of Alcatraz Island (all times local):
- AP WAS THERE: Native Americans want to take over Alcatraz
- AP WAS THERE: Indians hold to positions on Alcatraz
- AP WAS THERE: Occupants declare an “Indian Day” of relaxation
- AP WAS THERE: Turn over Alcatraz to Indians, U.S. urged
- AP WAS THERE: ‘They lied to us.’ Indian says of Alcatraz raid
- AP WAS THERE: Alcatraz will become park
PLYMOUTH, Mass. (AP) — Happy Thanksgiving to you in the land your forefathers stole.
That’s the in-your-feast message Native Americans are preparing to send as they convene their 50th annual...
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — A handful of states are celebrating their first Indigenous Peoples Day on Monday as part of a trend to move away from a day honoring Christopher Columbus.
Dennis Banks, who helped found the American Indian Movement and engaged in sometimes-violent uprisings against the U.S. government, including the armed occupation of Wounded Knee in 1973, died at...
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Half a century after a notorious prison escape from Alcatraz Island, the FBI has created replicas of decoy heads that inmates used to distract guards from a plan that still...