NEW YORK (AP) — Onstage, Finneas and Billie Eilish come across like a seasoned, veteran musical duo. With her beautifully aching and raw tone singing relatable and profound lyrics in the starring...
AP Breakthrough Entertainer Finneas finds his lane in music
LOS ANGELES (AP) — The video couldn’t have been simpler: A woman in her apartment, lip-syncing audio of President Donald Trump as he expounded on possible coronavirus treatments.
AP Breakthrough Entertainer Sarah Cooper on her meteoric rise
LOS ANGELES (AP) — In a span of seven months this year alone, Anya Taylor-Joy played a meddling British brat in “Emma,” a Russian mutant with teleportation powers in the latest “X-Men” film, and...
AP Breakthrough Entertainer Anya Taylor-Joy on ‘growing pains’ of breakneck year
NEW YORK (AP) — If Yahya Abdul-Mateen II was told nearly a decade ago that he’d trade in reading blueprints for movie scripts while he worked as a city planner in the San Francisco Mayor’s Office...
AP Breakthrough Entertainer Yahya Abdul-Mateen II is a ‘dreamer’
LONDON (AP) — When 22-year-old Daisy Edgar-Jones ditched her British accent for the dulcet Irish tones of Marianne in “Normal People,” the actor’s stardom hit a new trajectory.
PHOTOS: Jack Quaid
PHOTO GALLERY: Beanie Feldstein
- PHOTO GALLERY: Natasha Rothwell - AP Breakthrough Entertainers 2018
- PHOTO GALLERY: Awkwafina - AP Breakthrough Entertainers 2018
- PHOTO GALLERY: Elsie Fisher - AP Breakthrough Entertainers 2018
- PHOTO GALLERY - John David Washington
- PHOTO GALLERY: Hannah Gadsby - AP Breakthrough Entertainers 2018
- PHOTO GALLERY: Ella Mai - AP Breakthrough Entertainers 2018
- PHOTO GALLERY: Kane Brown - AP Breakthrough Entertainers
- PHOTO GALLERY: Henry Golding - AP Breakthrough Entertainers 2018
LOS ANGELES (AP) — If you’re an actor, and your parents just happen to be Meg Ryan and Dennis Quaid, you may have to get used to movie makers assuming that you’re an entitled jerk.
AP Breakthrough Entertainer: Jack Quaid
AP Breakthrough Entertainers 2018: Elsie Fisher
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Natasha Rothwell claims she is shy in real life, but her scene-stealing supporting roles in HBO's hit show "Insecure" and the film "Love, Simon" have proven otherwise.
Rothwell's outspoken TV character, Kelli, shines with witty one-liners and brash behavior, sometimes even more than "Insecure" series' star Issa Rae.
AP Breakthrough Entertainers 2018: Natasha Rothwell
PHOTO GALLERY: Natasha Rothwell - AP Breakthrough Entertainers 2018
AP Breakthrough Entertainer Daisy Edgar-Jones’ ‘pinch yourself’ moment
- Breakthrough Entertainer: Megan Thee Stallion feels grateful
- AP Breakthrough Entertainer: Florence Pugh
- PHOTOS: Jack Quaid
- 2019 Breakthrough Entertainer: Florence Pugh owns the year
- Breakthrough Entertainer: Ferreira's 2019 has been surreal
- Breakthrough Entertainer: Zack Gottsagen realizes a dream
- 2019 Breakthrough Entertainer: Dever shined in TV and film
- 2019 Breakthrough Entertainer: Jack Quaid of 'The Boys'
- AP Breakthrough Entertainer: Jonathan Majors
- PHOTOS: Kaitlyn Dever
- AP Breakthrough Entertainer: Barbie Ferreira
- AP Breakthrough Entertainer: Megan Thee Stallion
NEW YORK (AP) — Any actor can find it difficult to find a meaty role in Hollywood, whether it be in TV or film, comedy or drama. Actress Kaitlyn Dever shined in both genres and mediums this year....
PHOTOS: Kaitlyn Dever
AP Breakthrough Entertainer: Kaitlyn Dever
LOS ANGELES (AP) — For Zack Gottsagen, being named as one of The Associated Press' Breakthrough Entertainers of 2019 is a confirmation of his success.
AP Breakthrough Entertainer: Zack Gottsagen
PHOTOS: Zack Gottsagen
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Barbie Ferreira has been hearing countless variations on the word “breakthrough” applied to her role in HBO’s groundbreaking teen drama “Euphoria” ever since the series debuted...
AP Breakthrough Entertainer: Barbie Ferreira
PHOTOS: Barbie Ferreira
NEW YORK (AP) — How is a great actor made? For Jonathan Majors, the 30-year-old breakout star of “The Last Black Man in San Francisco,” it started in drama school. It swelled with the discovery of...
- AP names its Breakthrough Entertainers of 2018
- 2018 Breakthrough: Awkwafina of 'Crazy Rich Asians'
- 2018 Breakthrough: Hannah Gadsby may change stand-up game
- 2018 Breakthrough Entertainer: Country singer Kane Brown
- 2018 Breakthrough: Elsie Fisher of 'Eighth Grade'
- Breakthrough Entertainer: 'Insecure' star Natasha Rothwell
- 2018 Breakthrough: Henry Golding of 'Crazy Rich Asians'
- 2018 Breakthrough: John David Washington, 'Black KkKlansman'
AP Breakthrough Entertainer: Jonathan Majors
PHOTOS: Jonathan Majors
NEW YORK (AP) — Megan Thee Stallion's schedule has become so frenetic that she can spend days, or even longer, away from home, in a different city every night. While the grueling schedule may wear...
AP Breakthrough Entertainer: Megan Thee Stallion
PHOTOS: Megan the Stallion
- AP Breakthrough Entertainers 2018: Henry Golding
- AP Breakthrough Entertainers 2018: Natasha Rothwell
- AP Breakthrough Entertainers 2018: John David Washington
- AP Breakthrough Entertainers 2018: Kane Brown
- AP Breakthrough Entertainers 2018: Elsie Fisher
- AP Breakthrough Entertainers 2018: Ella Mai
- AP Breakthrough Entertainers 2018: Hannah Gadsby
- AP Breakthrough Entertainers 2018: Awkwafina
LOS ANGELES (AP) — By the end of 2019 on big screens across the globe, actress Florence Pugh will have body-slammed a famous wrestler in “Fighting with My Family,” screamed her lungs out after...
AP Breakthrough Entertainer: Florence Pugh
NEW YORK (AP) — Yes, SZA is easily in the running for best new act of 2017. But her uber-successful year really puts her in the running for female artist of the year: She's had multiple songs chart in the Top 40 in a year when male acts overwhelming dominated, and she's the most nominated woman at the upcoming Grammy Awards with five.
"It's wild. It's awesome. ... Like, I'm in awe. Like, in full blown awe," said SZA, competing for honors like best new artist and best urban contemporary album.
NEW YORK (AP) — Some people have breakout years. Director Patty Jenkins had one with "Monster" in 2003, a movie that earned Charlize Theron a best actress Academy Award.
LOS ANGELES (AP) — "The Big Sick" star Kumail Nanjiani is heading into awards season with a mix of fear and excitement.
After grossing nearly $43 million at the box office, the charming crowd-pleaser picked up two Film Independent Spirit Award nominations and is considered a front-runner for Academy Award nods.
"It's very scary. It's not something that we had really considered at all," said Nanjiani of his film's Oscar buzz. "It's cool to be in the conversation with so many great movies."
PHOTOS: Florence Pugh
LOS ANGELES (AP) — John David Washington comes from a strong acting lineage, but he has carved out his own identity as a powerful actor, earning a Golden Globe nomination and generating Oscar buzz for his standout role in Spike Lee's "BlacKkKlansman."