Circulating DNA/RNA Patent Landscape Report 2021: Circulating Nucleic Acids Tests, An Essential Step in Prognosis and Personalized Treatment - ResearchAndMarkets.com
DUBLIN--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jul 5, 2021--
The “Circulating DNA/RNA Patent Landscape 2021” report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com’s offering.
Circulating nucleic acids tests, an essential step in prognosis and personalized treatment
In clinical practice today, one of the most eagerly awaited technologies is the liquid biopsy, and, more specifically, the analysis of circulating DNA, which is a safer alternative to solid biopsy.
It is a useful and essential element for achieving personalized medicine. It is also a minimally invasive approach for diagnosing or prognosing a disease through markers (e.g. mutations) in body fluids such as blood, urine, saliva, cerebrospinal fluid or pleural fluid. Circulating DNA/RNA analysis is not restricted to oncology, though the research and needs in this area are immense and eagerly awaited.
This technology is also applicable to prenatal diagnostics, cardiovascular and nervous system diseases or transplantation. In addition, the development of technologies to intercept and analyze these circulating nucleic acids steeply increased in the last 10 years, as did the number of companies supplying them (e.g. Grail, Guardant Health, Roche, Illumina).
In the cancer area, great progress has been made in the last 5 years, since 3 medical devices have arrived on the market and have been FDA approved: the cobas EGFR Mutation Test and FoundationOne Liquid CDx by Roche; and the Guardant360 CDx by Guardant Health.
The FDA has also granted three Breakthrough Device Designations for a Natera test. At the same time, the number of clinical studies observing circulating nucleic acids continues to increase, reflecting the growing interest in this topic as well as the economic stakes for companies. Despite this, multiple issues are delaying the widespread incorporation of ctDNA into routine patient care.
Future focus should be on establishing optimal techniques for sample collection, cfDNA isolation and analysis. In addition, further studies are required to better understand the biological characteristics of cfDNA.
In terms of intellectual property (IP), circulating DNA/RNA is of interest to big companies and start-ups alike, and it is crucial to understand the IP position and strategy of these different players. Indeed, significant numbers of litigations and oppositions have been filed recently, showing the strategic role of IP in this area. Such knowledge can help detect business risks and opportunities, anticipate emerging technologies, and enable strategic decisions to strengthen one’s market position.
Until 2009, there was a latent period, although highly specialized companies in the field started to emerge, such as CLS Therapeutics, Sequenom (acquired by Integrated Genetics) and OncoMEDx. Some academics also started to take an interest in this field of research, such as American universities (Pennsylvania and John Hopkins) and Chinese universities. Since 2010, an acceleration in patenting activity has been observed, with the arrival of big newcomers such as Roche, Natera, Illumina and BGI.
Report’s Key Features
- PDF with > 130 slides
- Excel file > 2440 patent families + hyperlink to updated online database (legal status, documents etc.)
- IP trends, including time-evolution of published patents, and countries of patent filings
- Patents’ legal status
- Ranking of main patent assignees
- Key players’ IP position and relative strength of their patent portfolios
- Summary of the IP related to the applications: infectious diseases, cancer, cardiovascular, nervous system or prenatal.
- Summary of the IP related to the technologies: extraction or detection and isolation.
- Analysis of patent litigations and review of key patents
Analysis by segment
Circulating DNA/RNA has been investigated and the selected patent families labeled according to applications or technologies to which they relate.
This IP landscape features the following 2 types of segmentation:
- Applications: This segmentation includes oncology, prenatal diagnostics, infectious diseases, transplantation, nervous system and cardiovascular system. cfDNA was mainly explored as a diagnostic or prognostic marker and for monitoring treatment efficacy or residual disease.
- Technologies: This segmentation includes Extraction & Preparation of circulating DNA/RNA and the Detection & Analysis of these cfDNA/RNA.
Key Topics Covered:
- Circulating DNA/RNA
- Scope of the report
- Key features of the report
- Objectives of the report
- Patent search, selection and analysis
- Search strategy
- Terminologies for patent analysis
- Strength and blocking potential
MAIN ASSIGNEES MENTIONED
PATENT LANDSCAPE OVERVIEW
- Time evolution of patent publications
- Time evolution by country of filing
- Ranking of most prolific patent applicants
- Current legal status of the main players
- Patent legal status of the corpus
- Mapping of main current IP holders
- Patenting activity of IP leading companies
- Time evolution of main patent assignees
- Start-up companies
- Established companies
IP POSITION OF MAIN APPLICANTS
- IP leadership of patent applicants
- IP blocking potential of patent applicants
- Strength index of patent portfolios
- Patent citation analysis
- Key patent families
MAIN OPPOSITIONS & LITIGATIONS
- Main oppositions on EP patents
- Main litigations in the USA
- Main assignees by technology
- Application: cancer
- Application: prenatal
- Application: infectious diseases
- Application: transplantation
- Application: nervous system
- Application: cardiovascular system
- Technology: detection & analysis
- Technology: extraction & preparation
IP PROFILE OF KEY PLAYERS
- Bluestar Genomics
- Cardiff Oncology
- Caris Life Sciences
- Cleveland Heartlab
- Guardant Health
- Integrated Genetics (Sequenom)
- Personal Genome Diagnostics
For more information about this report visit https://www.researchandmarkets.com/r/hd0tly
View source version on businesswire.com:https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210705005164/en/
Laura Wood, Senior Press Manager
For E.S.T Office Hours Call 1-917-300-0470
For U.S./CAN Toll Free Call 1-800-526-8630
For GMT Office Hours Call +353-1-416-8900
INDUSTRY KEYWORD: HEALTH BIOTECHNOLOGY
SOURCE: Research and Markets
Copyright Business Wire 2021.
PUB: 07/05/2021 09:07 AM/DISC: 07/05/2021 09:07 AM