SAFD responds to two-alarm fire at ‘very dangerous’ building on East Side
Overheated rubber inside a large industrial building on the East Side caused a two-alarm fire Sunday night, San Antonio Fire Division Chief of Operations Bryan Norris said.
Firefighters responded to a fire alarm at the Mantaline Corp. on Dividend and Grubb. The company produces rubber materials at the site.
“They found heavy amounts of smoke,” Norris said. “Upon arrival, an investigation inside the building found rubber burning around a pipe coming from a superheated machine with some hazardous materials running through it.”
The materials have not leaked, he said.
No one was inside the building when the fire started and no one was injured, Norris said.
More than two dozen units were called in because “this is a very dangerous building if it were on fire,” due to its size, he said.
The company is taking over cleanup efforts from the San Antonio Fire Department, Norris said.